Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Registered Sex Offender - any police/lawyers?

(7 Posts)
newnamenewnamenewname Mon 12-Jun-17 00:17:25

DS18's great aunt's husband (on his dad's side) was convicted of child sexual abuse (lasting 10 years) and attempted rape of his step daughter when she was 14. He wasn't convicted until recently, 30 years after it happened, and he is out of prison now. He married DS' s great aunt 15 years ago, the offences took place in the 70s/80s, he was convicted 7 years ago, got 4.5 years, served 2.5 years and is on the sex offenders register for life. Prior to conviction, DS had only ever met him at weddings, christenings and funerals, less than half a dozen times in his life. There was some really disgusting victim blaming and minimisation on the part of DS's dad's family at the time (he hasn't ever done it again in 23 years, he's a moral upstanding citizen and church goer now, he regrets it, she should be over it by now, she can't blame depression and eating disorders on something that happened 30 years ago, at 14 she must have known and encouraged it or could have said no...), despite them not even liking the man they took his side. However, he was not part of family life before this came to light so I didn't really expect DS to ever meet him again nor did DS hear any of the vile victim blaming. As he didn't really see or know the man, he was just told the bare basics. I never thought it would come up again as there was no contact with the man.

Last week, DS's dad told me he is going to the great uncle's birthday party and DS and his girlfriend were invited. I was pretty shocked and disgusted, and surprised as he hadn't seen him since before the conviction and, as I said, he never liked him. DS's dad said that he was only going to support his mum who wanted to go for his aunt's sake (DS's great aunt). DS declined the invitation (good for him). But DS has now told me that his dad has befriended the great uncle, he comes over to the house regularly to see his dad, which is often filled with teens 15-19 sleeping over, girls wandering around in PJ's (vest tops and shorts) or in the pool or sunbathing in bikinis, which they should be able to do without a convicted sex offender being invited in. His dad and the great uncle also now go to a sports club together where DS's dad is a coach and there are often under 16's in the same sessions.

Morally, I think it is vile, as does DS, but as he is leaving home in a few months, the issue of the man coming to the house when he has friends over will no longer a problem. But legally, should, he even be visiting or at a sports club with kids? Aren't there restrictions? Or is it only under 12s?

Leviticus Mon 12-Jun-17 00:23:51

Ring 101 with his details and your concerns. If he's on the register the police will check and act accordingly.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Jun-17 00:27:03

As above

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Jun-17 00:27:39

I'd be disgusted/worried too

Note3 Mon 12-Jun-17 00:31:01

If he's on the register he has a requirement to provide the police with his address at which he resides. He has to go annually even if no change but if there's a change must go within (I believe) 3 days.

If he has a SOPO in place (sex offender prevention order) then it's likely to have prohibitions such as not to reside in a household with under 18s or under 16s and no contact without their guardian present.

Best thing you can do is report what you know to the police so they can review his record and any restrictions then take action if necessary

newnamenewnamenewname Mon 12-Jun-17 17:04:31

Thanks, all.

Note3 I don't know whether there is a SOPO, just that he is on the register for life. I only have "his side of the story" and the press coverage, which doesn't mention a SOPO.

noego Mon 12-Jun-17 18:22:23

There is a thing called safeguarding on this country (UK) anyone in a position of authority where children are concerned (Children being defined as under 18) have a duty of care.
it wouldn't do any harm to contact the police and discuss your concerns with them as PP's have said.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: