Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Help!

(13 Posts)
Adviceplease360 Mon 05-Jun-17 20:36:26

I have a four year old, up until December he regularly went to the in laws. For good reason we have gone no contact but he has asked to go there today how do I explain he can't? I am really upset about this and don't know how to deal with it

Adviceplease360 Mon 05-Jun-17 20:48:18

Anyone?

Cricrichan Mon 05-Jun-17 20:49:37

He's 4. Distract him. Talk about going to watch a film at the cinema or anything else. They're easily distracted and he'll soon forget them.

Adviceplease360 Mon 05-Jun-17 20:55:34

If says can we go? What shall I say? If I say later he'll remind me? Thank you for replying btw

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Mon 05-Jun-17 20:57:39

Well, telling him they were on holiday would stall him whilst you thought up a more long term answer.

Adviceplease360 Mon 05-Jun-17 20:59:27

Can you help me.with a long term answer? Genuinely don't know what to tell him. The truth is I am no longer welcome there (thank God) but should I tell him that?

Adviceplease360 Mon 05-Jun-17 20:59:28

Can you help me.with a long term answer? Genuinely don't know what to tell him. The truth is I am no longer welcome there (thank God) but should I tell him that?

happypoobum Mon 05-Jun-17 21:01:27

Say there has been an argument and they don't want you there any more. I wouldn't sugar coat it too much but keep it simple, no details.

Then buy him a puppy - problem solved grin

scottishdiem Mon 05-Jun-17 21:02:33

You can say that they moved very far away?

Or perhaps, if he has ever fallen out with a friend at nursery before, tell him thats what has happened and that since Mummy and the Grandparents are not friends any more it makes it very hard for them to see him?

Maybe not much use.

Adviceplease360 Mon 05-Jun-17 21:14:00

I am tempted to say I am not welcome there anymore but I don't want to upset him. Still feel truth is best though. He has been asking for a rabbit!

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Mon 05-Jun-17 21:15:29

Grandparents are overrated.
Rabbits are fab!!

Cricrichan Mon 05-Jun-17 21:18:58

Seriously he's only 4. Just tell him they're away or busy etc and distract him. He'll forget soon enough.

isitjustme2017 Mon 05-Jun-17 21:42:15

Just say you are not friends anymore because you had a silly argument so you can't visit them. Like you said, keep it simple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now