Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Problems living with boyfriends family

(26 Posts)
U441 Wed 31-May-17 15:50:03

Myself and my boyfriend are finding it difficult living with his mum at the minute. She fell out with her 18 y/o daughter a few weeks ago so she moved out with her partner and they're always on the phone arguing. Her daughter said that she had tried apologising to her mum but her mum was just being petty and wouldn't let her see her baby sister. Their mum was saying to me and my boyfriend that her daughter wasn't trying to make amends and that she was just causing arguments but her daughter sent my boyfriend the screenshots of her apologising and their mum ignoring her. So on Monday me and my boyfriend sat downstairs with her and said we may be moving out soon as we're looking for a place of our own to which she said 'well don't expect to see your little sister because it's not fair on her that you just come in and out of her life whenever you feel like it' I don't think it's fair at all that she is using her daughter as a way of trying to keep her kids at home so she doesn't have to be there on her own?? And I'm starting to see that maybe she did that with her other daughter to try and keep her there and because it didn't work she's now ignoring her?

Shoxfordian Wed 31-May-17 15:58:04

That sounds like not your circus and not your monkeys OP

I'd stay well out of the argument between his mum and sister

If you and him move out then let him manage contact with his mum. How young is the younger sister? Maybe she can contact you anyway if she wants to

U441 Wed 31-May-17 15:58:38

She's only 1 year old

dustarr73 Wed 31-May-17 16:20:09

Really not you again.Is she still dealing drugs op.

U441 Wed 31-May-17 16:21:12

Yes.

RebornSlippy Wed 31-May-17 19:03:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

user1492190246 Wed 31-May-17 19:11:06

@RebornSlippy I remember her . You summarised it perfectly. 😂😂😂

dustarr73 Wed 31-May-17 20:03:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nevergrowingold Wed 31-May-17 20:23:26

She can post on here if she wants. She is 18 with an abusive boyfriend. Why doesn't she deserve support?

RebornSlippy Wed 31-May-17 21:02:08

Knock yourself out, Nevergrowingold. Maybe you'll succeed where scores of the rest of us have failed.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Wed 31-May-17 21:06:34

Oh yes. You again. What do you expect to be told that you haven't been told a million times already? He's a nob. It's her house. Move out. Dump him and Don't get pregnant by him.

Nevergrowingold Wed 31-May-17 21:49:44

I've seen her other threads. She is obviously young and vulnerable and the way she is dismissed and insulted on here is disgusting.

RebornSlippy Wed 31-May-17 21:52:35

Nevergrowingold I take your point. However, maybe you should concentrate on offering some sage advice to the youngster instead of berating the rest of us? I have tried, I have failed. With the evident concern you have, maybe you'll be able to help her see the light. Away you go.

caffeinestream Wed 31-May-17 21:55:49

You're not going to get any different advice just because you've name-changed this time.

noenemee Wed 31-May-17 22:06:26

I don't know any previous threads, but OP I can tell you that no good ever comes of he said-she said and getting involved in other people's business.

I'd also caution you not to discuss all your own business with people who don't need to know. Don't fall into that trap.

Nevergrowingold Wed 31-May-17 22:07:54

I can't tell her what to do but I don't think she should be told not to post any more.

dustarr73 Thu 01-Jun-17 07:37:31

@Nevergrowingold ,op starts multiple threads with the same problem.Shw gets great advice, doesn't take it and comes back again.

She's not going to be what she wants to hear,that's why she starts all the threads.

Hannabananarama Thu 01-Jun-17 08:39:17

I agree with NeverGrowingOld. While it denies us a sense of gratification at having our good, sensible advice seemingly ignored repeatedly, this is this young woman's real life. We know that abused women attempt to leave seven times before they finally manage it. We know that women who are being abused are so ground down that defying their partner seems impossible.

The best way to support a woman in an abusive relationship is to listen, to bear witness, to offer advice when it's asked for but not aportion blame if she is not ready or able to follow it.

Hannabananarama Thu 01-Jun-17 08:42:38

OP - I wouldn't involve yourself in the situations between your boyfriend's sister and his mum. That very much falls into the category of not your problem, and there's nothing you can do to resolve it anyway. If his mum won't listen to you about not exposing her youngest daughter to drug deals, she's certainly not going to listen to you about repairing relations with her eldest.

U4415 Thu 01-Jun-17 10:16:06

I name changed because I knew I'd get a load of verbal abuse because I've 'had advice before and not taken it' but I don't have anyone who I can talk to about what goes on.

noenemee Thu 01-Jun-17 12:27:16

Well do you want to just have a moan and offload, or do you want a discussion about how to avoid this kind of situation and how to change things? It's your choice.

I know I'd have found it very difficult living with inlaws let alone with inlaws who weren't great at relationships and who use a child as a pawn to manipulate other people.

Of course, if as others here seem to indicate, your problems mostly stem from your personal relationship with your boyfriend, then that's another matter. Whatever you do make sure your don't get pregnant and bring more complications into the mix.

U4415 Thu 01-Jun-17 13:02:46

I just want to be able to offload instead of having to keep it all to myself

Christmastree43 Thu 01-Jun-17 13:27:42

You didn't even like the baby sister the other day OP, you were angry that the mother wanted you to spend time with her, now you are upset at the thought you might not see her 🤔 Think it's just that you dislike or resent your boyfriend's Mum who's giving you a home isn't it

U4415 Thu 01-Jun-17 13:44:13

No, I'm not upset at all but I know my boyfriend was which was why I posted that

U4415 Thu 01-Jun-17 13:57:57

And I could also see that she was trying to get her kids to stay at home so she didn't have to be on her own by threatening them with their sister

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now