Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Maintenance with New Baby

(10 Posts)
user1479658499 Wed 31-May-17 11:36:24

Can my ex stop paying maintenance for his son if I have a new baby with my new partner?

TheNaze73 Wed 31-May-17 11:40:49

He can do whatever he likes. However, that doesn't make it right or legal.
It shouldn't change a thing in reality though. Has he not moved in from you?

FuckyDuck Wed 31-May-17 11:43:23

Legally, no he can't. Contact CMS

user1479658499 Wed 31-May-17 11:45:40

Thank you. He's told me this morning that by having another baby I forgot any rights to child maintenance

stitchglitched Wed 31-May-17 11:47:41

You could have ten babies and he would still be legally obliged to pay for his child! Start a claim with CMS if he is going to mess you around.

noova61 Wed 31-May-17 11:51:38

Thats a load of bullshit....legally he has to pay maintainence for his child. My daughter has a child, his father is having another child with new gf...(hes bee trying to get out of paying for his 1st child)hes been told that legally he has to pay for the 1st child even if his mother has more children....that came from CMS...Ive never known a man wriggle on a hook so much so that he doesnt have to pay for his child.....but its got to the stage where the maintainence is being takien directly from his pay before he even gets it.
But definitly contact CMS, they will write to him and say that he has to pay.

user1479658499 Wed 31-May-17 11:54:11

Thank you again. I thought that was the case. I told him because I thought it was fair he knows as it will obviously be something that effects our son (wanting to talk about it at Daddy's etc) and figured he'd be happy for me since he's moved on with a women with kids and they've recently brought a house etc but instead he just started yelling at me saying that was the end of any maintenance and I'd forfeited any rights to it at all.

noova61 Wed 31-May-17 12:06:16

Nope, hes wanting to walk away and not have to pay anything...my daughters ex partner walked out when child was 14mths old...he refused to pay anything during that time...solicitor told him he had to pay, so it was agreed £80 a month between them as he didnt want to go through CSA (as was then)...he stopped paying in november last year, saying he couldnt afford it as he was going self employed etc, he wasnt and he didnt. She had no money for almost 3mths off him....hes supposed to pay £125 a month, but its now being taken out of his pay along with all the arrears owed. stand your ground , he helped make the child, he can pay for him. Whether hes moved in with someone else or not makes no difference...I bet shes getting maintainence for her kids!!

Dobbyandme Wed 31-May-17 12:07:23

Clearly he's allowed to get on with his life but you're not then OP. Bollocks to him.

Don't engage in any further discussion on it. Let CMS write to him and inform him of the fact that you're having a second baby does not negate that his DNA was involved in the making of the first. What a dickhead.

noova61 Wed 31-May-17 12:13:57

Dont tell him anything else about CMS..let them deal with him now...the will write/phone and he has to reply..if he doesnt it will be taken out of his pay.
Cant bloody stand men who refuse to pay for a child they helped create, just coz it suits them not to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now