Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can anyone explain how buying out of a mortgage works?

(12 Posts)
FlyingSoloFlyingFree Tue 30-May-17 13:21:17

I am terrible with figures confused but need a rough idea to see if it's viable to buy H out of our existing property.

House is worth approx £250k, current mortgage is about £90k. So the equity in the property is £160k.

How would we split the equity (can you just release it as cash without selling?) and what size mortgage would I then be looking at?

Thanks smile

Janeinthemiddle Tue 30-May-17 13:26:39

You need an appointment with the bank to get exact figures.you can release up to 85% of equity of your home, based on the mortgage provider's valuation of course.

As for how big you'll be able to release, it'll be down to your affordability.

strongandlong Tue 30-May-17 13:26:55

If you were going to buy him out at 50%, you'd need to get a mortgage for £170k. (90k existing mortgage and 80k to him )

You may be entitled to more than 50% of the equity though.

TempusEedjit Tue 30-May-17 13:27:39

You'd need to cover current mortgage at £90k plus extend it by another £80k to buy out your H therefore total mortgage of £170k.

It's rare to split assets 50/50 though unless there are no DC or it's a short marriage. Other assets such as pensions (which can often be a substantial asset) need taking into account as well.

Mummmy2017 Tue 30-May-17 13:37:45

You have 160k equity, so he needs half of that and your looking for a mortgage of 170k so you can give your ex his 80k... so double what your paying now and that will be roughly how much your new mortage will be, and he needs to take his name off the mortgage..

FlyingSoloFlyingFree Tue 30-May-17 14:00:53

We do have a child and both have pensions but in the interests of being fair I wasn't planning to take them into account - would a bank insist on it though?

I know I sound very naive, I'm not but this isn't a situation I'd ever imagined being in and numbers are really not my strong point.

Ellisandra Tue 30-May-17 14:55:51

How is it not fair to take all assets into account? confused

You must see a solicitor.

AndNowItIsSeven Tue 30-May-17 14:58:30

The house is your child's home , you should be asking for a lot more than 50%.

TempusEedjit Tue 30-May-17 15:20:03

The bank wouldn't insist on it but the value of your pensions might have a big impact on how much equity you're entitled to receive, ditto for how old your child is. This would of course therefore influence how much you'll be asking for from the bank.

As and when you get round to divorcing the courts will insist that all material assets are taken into account, especially pensions which are often the second biggest (sometimes the biggest) asset in a marriage. They won't agree to sign off a consent order without it. Don't screw yourself out of what you're legally and reasonably entitled to because emotions are running high whilst you're separating. Once those emotions have settled down you'll look back and be sorry that you gave away what was rightfully yours to someone you no longer have an attachment to.

FlyingSoloFlyingFree Tue 30-May-17 16:01:44

We're trying to keep things as amicable and fair as possible and although it's a split with issues on both sides it was me who initiated it so I'm really aware on not wanting to screw him over. But yes I do need to consider DD. Much more to think about than I'd really imagined 🙄

Moanyoldcow Tue 30-May-17 16:04:58

Solicitor solicitor solicitor.

FlyingSoloFlyingFree Tue 30-May-17 19:09:16

Yes I guess you're right, I didn't want it to come to this so soon but H has decided it's over even though I just wanted a bit of a break to see how we both felt. Guess a solicitor is the sensible move now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now