Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

In a relationship but feel like a single parent?

(23 Posts)
firsttimemummy123 Mon 29-May-17 13:13:23

Is anyone else in a relationship where you do absolutely everything and may as well be a single parent?
I go to work, pay all the bills, pay childcare, cook, clean... blah blah blah. Even holidays and days out it's just me and our daughter. She's 3 and becoming more challenging with her behaviour and I have zero support from him... thank the lord for parents/grandparents!!! hmm

Mascaraandrum Mon 29-May-17 13:17:14

Does he live with you ?

OhhBetty Mon 29-May-17 13:17:32

Does he literally do nothing? No job to help pay bills? No interaction with your daughter? No talking to you/providing emotional support?
If not then get rid.

AyeAmarok Mon 29-May-17 13:18:20

Why does he do so little? Why have you allowed this? He is really good in bed?

Lelloteddy Mon 29-May-17 13:19:53

What does he do with his income?
If you fell down the stairs and broke your leg are you saying he wouldn't look after your child?

firsttimemummy123 Mon 29-May-17 13:21:26

Yes.. goes to work all day, comes in has his tea then sits upstairs in bedroom... yesterday we had our first day out together to the fair and it consisted of him picking fault with me and our daughter alll day until we came home and he took himself upstairs

firsttimemummy123 Mon 29-May-17 13:24:33

He spents all his money on things he wants... a new TV we didn't need. A new motorbike... nothing towards running the house... he is great with our daughter I go to back to work one hour in the evening and as much as he moans he always looks after her... but I have to have her bathed and in her pj's before I go.

firsttimemummy123 Mon 29-May-17 13:26:19

I haven't allowed this it slipped into this when he was out of work for a while due to health probs now all recovered and working again he won't agree to help

ButtonMushroomEx Mon 29-May-17 13:28:03

No you're not like a single parent, because if you were you would have the freedom to make your own choices and live your own life, however challenging and juggling that can be at times.

What you are doing now is everything with the additional bonus of tiptoeing round a massive lazy manchild.

Really, Howe would your life be worse if you chucked him out.

Actually you'd probably get EOW to yourself to relax while he stepped up and fathered in accordance with a court order....

firsttimemummy123 Mon 29-May-17 13:30:19

ButtonMushroom... this is exactly how I'm feeling right now! I'd get more help being on my own than I am with him... confused

AnyFucker Mon 29-May-17 13:32:54

That sounds like worse than being a single parent

Imagine doing everything and not having to look at his loser mug. Sounds great to me.

LTB

broodynmoody Mon 29-May-17 13:39:46

Sits upstairs? How olds he? hmmseems like he has no interest in you or his child. As previous posters say, it would be easier to be a single parent then you arent doing his cooking, laundry etc and tip toeing around him. Get his bags packed

Adora10 Mon 29-May-17 14:16:20

What a disgrace; why are you supporting this waste of space; go be a single parent, get rid of him, he's beyond useless and no it's not normal.

MickeyRooney Mon 29-May-17 14:21:53

yep - he's not invested in you one bit.
sounds like a cocklodger to me.
bin.

OhhBetty Mon 29-May-17 14:35:50

Yeah he doesn't sound like a good person, parent or partner tbh. I'm a single parent and just wanted to advise you not to go into a split thinking he will have to have your child eow or at all. Some "dads" don't and your partner hasn't shown interest up til now so there's a good chance he won't once you split either.

FlossyMooToo Mon 29-May-17 14:40:42

I had a husband like that.
I dont anymore.
I am now a single parent and its easier.

You and DD are getting nothing from this relaltionship so why be in it?

dadblokechap42 Mon 29-May-17 14:47:16

Chuck him out, he needs to learn to grow up and face his responsibilities.

twattymctwatterson Mon 29-May-17 17:17:04

I'm a single parent. You would be better off if you were

Mylittlestsunshine Mon 29-May-17 17:20:38

AnyFucker said what I was going to say.

expatinscotland Mon 29-May-17 17:33:37

'he is great with our daughter I go to back to work one hour in the evening and as much as he moans he always looks after her... but I have to have her bathed and in her pj's before I go.'

No, he isn't. He isn't 'great' with shit. He's a loser. Get rid.

BitchQueen90 Mon 29-May-17 18:23:20

Dump him.

ExH was like this. He would go to the pub every day after work then come home and play Xbox while I cooked the dinner, bathed DS, read to him, put him to bed.

I left. Ironically he spends more time with DS than he did when we were together, because I am not there on his contact days to bloody do it all. I am a thousand times happier as a single parent.

Afterthestorm Mon 29-May-17 19:08:56

Me too Bitchqueen, being a single parent is a thousand times better than living with partners like this (but then I have just spent my childfree weekend with boyfriend, being cooked for, having back massages and lots of sex, whilst kids spend the weekend with their dad having a lovely time), just wish somebody had told me before....

BitchQueen90 Mon 29-May-17 19:16:20

after I get more free time now than I did in my marriage! And I don't have to pander to a man-child any more. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now