Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.


(10 Posts)
chomperomper Sat 27-May-17 00:06:14

DP comes from money; I don't. We have a DC together and we are not married. Some of the equity in the house that we own jointly came from a deposit fron his parents/his savings. I had some savings but not much when I moved in and used it all on funding my maternity leave.
DH and I have reasonable jobs and he earns more than I do as I work part-time.
Things have been rocky for a while and we have discussed separating. I'm however concerned about how I'll be left financially as I work part-time and have no savings at all now and did not put amy deposit down on the house we own jointly. We have not signed a contract stating that I can not claim some of his deposit should we separate, but DP is becoming agitated about me taking some of this money.
I don't want the money, but would try to claim some if my child and I needed a deposit for our own mortgage etc.
DP has been reluctant to share finances in the past and he seems very guarded over his money and had an obvious fear of me taking it.
What are my rights? I don't want to go taking his money either, but I also need to support and provide for my DC and I should we separate and I have zero savings.

Kittykat1969 Sat 27-May-17 05:26:35

He will have to pay a level of support for your DC

Changedname3456 Sat 27-May-17 05:56:21

as you're unmarried there won't be any spousal maintenance, you can't look for a proportion of his savings or pension. The CMS will work out ongoing child maintenance unless you can agree a figure between you.

You probably need to see a solicitor about the house and deposit. You'd be due half the equity as a joint owner but how they'd treat the money that went on the deposit.. not sure. I'd get a free initial half hour and specifically ask about that. Or get an appt with CAB.

TheNaze73 Sat 27-May-17 08:23:53

Sage advice on here. CM is your only hope

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 27-May-17 08:32:20

He sounds like he has always regarded "his" money as his and his alone; a red flag here was you using all your savings to fund your maternity leave. He will likely fight you on money all the way here.

I would seek legal advice from a Solicitor re the jointly owned property but he has no financial obligation to you personally, only to his children.

Ellisandra Sat 27-May-17 08:36:32

What do you mean by owning the house jointly? That's going to be critical.

PeterhouseMS Sun 28-May-17 19:44:24

I really think you should seek legal advice.

In your other thread, you referred to him as your DH? Either way he has a financial obligation to his children.

Chloe84 Mon 29-May-17 04:34:08

OP, let go of any thoughts about it being his deposit. Think logically not emotionally.

Go for as much of the equity as the law will allow you. It's what you deserve for working part time to take care of DC, and thus impacting your career and earning prospects, using up your savings during mat leave when he should have been stepping up wuth financial support.

SvartePetter Mon 29-May-17 08:24:01

Maybe your contribution to the deposit was funding your maternity leave which you took to look after his child, and your loss of earnings working part time to look after his child? Have a look at childcare day rates...

llhj Mon 29-May-17 09:10:04

Di you both own house as joint tenants? How long have you owned it? These questions are crucial.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: