Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to emotionally detach?

(6 Posts)
Blisss Fri 26-May-17 12:57:30

I need to emotionally detach myself from my DP for a while. We're going through some obstacles in our relationship and I just need to detach my emotions from what's going on. Not permanently, because I do love him and I believe we have a future ahead of us. Just for now until things calm down a bit. I just don't want to feel that emotional pain.

Any advice on how to do so?

user1479302027 Fri 26-May-17 13:08:12

The only way I can think its to keep busy, keep your mind focused on other things. Work, friends, hobbies. It is replacing thoughts of partner or on the state of the relationship with other things, and it works for me.

RandomMess Fri 26-May-17 13:13:11

Be warned if you do detach you may not be able to get it back!

RebornSlippy Fri 26-May-17 13:21:18

I'd be highly surprised if this can be done. If it were possible, there would be very few broken hearts in the world. Rather you could just 'detach' and move on. And as we all know, that doesn't happen! True detachment takes time and no contact apparantely. I have yet to hear of a temporary detachment method, which can be reignited when ready. Although, I am always open to learning new things!

Blisss Fri 26-May-17 13:25:23

*RebornSlippy
That's a point I didn't consider

HildaOg Fri 26-May-17 17:16:03

I detach from people very easily. I turn them off like a switch and immediately stop caring. I think you need to not care very much at all before you can do it. I find emotional attachments and connections very difficult and rare so I think it's harder for other people who are in the opposite direction.

If you have an emotional connection and attachment to this man then I don't see how you could break it for a little while and then go back as if nothing has happened. Once you break something, it's broken.

You need to process your emotions and deal with your problems, detaching from your dp will end the relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now