Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I want to leave my partner but want to know what financial support I can get

(3 Posts)
missussmith55 Fri 26-May-17 11:52:35

I am planning on leaving my partner of 5 years we have a son together. I live in his flat ( he owns 2). I plan to return to my one bedroom flat I bought to live with my son although it will be a squeeze. My son is 2 yrs old and attends nursery 3 days a week I l am with him the other two days as we agreed I should work part time until he is at school. I earn £12k. My partner earns £34k and pays 2/3 of the bills at the mo. I pay for repairs on.his flat and towards the factor fees on his flat at the mo. Our nursery fees are£720 per month. I save us £400 pr mth by looking after our son 2 days a week. My soon to be ex is not interested in our son or being part of a family and has been verbally abusive in front of my son hence why im leaving. What kind of tax credits should I apply for and when should I get in touch with CSA? I would hope to sort out finances without involving them but am I being naive? Im going to Citz Advice when I next can but its hard getting time without my son at the mo. Any help.or advice you can give is much appreciated!

SirRaymondClench Fri 26-May-17 12:37:17

There is a site called where you can input your details and it will tell you what you might get.
I don't know if the new Universal credit means you can't get child tax or working tax credits though. Hopefully someone else can answer that

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 26-May-17 12:42:42

"I pay for repairs on.his flat and towards the factor fees on his flat at the mo"

Stop doing that with immediate effect; that is money you have thrown away here and will never see returned. I guess as well you are not party to his being on any title deeds with regards to any of his properties. Such a man from the little you write is never going to be reasonable when it comes to either you or his child; he's basically told you as much and he has been verbally abusive. He will not play ball and will likely be difficult throughout the whole process of separation and beyond that.

Womens Aid and the Rights of Women are also worth contacting here.

He has a financial obligation to his child but no financial obligation to you personally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: