Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Marriage talk tonight or not?

(12 Posts)
Ludoole Wed 24-May-17 18:37:43

On the first day of our holiday my fella asked me if I'd say yes if he asked me to marry him. I said when/if he asks properly he will get my answer. He kept pushing and i eventually told him that obviously I would. He then says we won't tell anyone until hes sorted the ring. That was ok by me.

Anyway today a tour guide asks if we are married and he says no and then adds that will never happen shockshock.
Im more than a bit put out but have yet to discuss with him why he said that. His son and my 2 boys were around and we haven't said anything to them yet which is why I haven't bought the subject up with him.

Do i leave it let it fester until we get back home or should I talk to him about it tonight and hope it doesn't spoil the holiday?

Gazelda Wed 24-May-17 18:39:43

I'd bring it up, but in a "I'm curious why you said that after our recent conversations" way rather than accusatory/I'm hurt etc.

Ludoole Wed 24-May-17 18:41:07

I wouldn't be accusatory but he has a tendency to be defensive hmm

PurpleDaisies Wed 24-May-17 18:41:18

What a weird thing to say just after asking if you'd say yes if he proposed.

Just ask what he meant. Don't sit on it.

CheerfulCherry Wed 24-May-17 18:42:04

Was he joking? Or did he seem like he meant it? I'd bring it up tonight but stay calm about it. You're not looking for an argument you'd like to know what he meant, that's all.

Ludoole Wed 24-May-17 18:43:42

He laughed but i think that's what hurt most. He could have just said no!

BurnTheBlackSuit Wed 24-May-17 18:44:44

Is he doing that (stupid and annoying thing) of trying to put you off the scent so he can suprise you?

(Like Chandler in Friends)

expatinscotland Wed 24-May-17 18:45:43

'I wouldn't be accusatory but he has a tendency to be defensive hmm'

Why do you want to marry someone like this? Sounds like a twonk.

Changedname3456 Wed 24-May-17 19:00:59

You said "his son" was there - is he concerned about the reaction of his exDP/exW if she finds out via their son?

TheNaze73 Wed 24-May-17 19:05:54

Why don't you ask him? Wait until after the football obviously, if he's that way inclined

Emboo19 Wed 24-May-17 19:25:24

If the boys were there was he down playing it so they wouldn't guess. That's the type of thing my dad does and in doing so, makes it really obvious to everyone he's planning something.

Just ask him what he meant by it.

Ludoole Wed 24-May-17 19:59:59

His son and I have a great relationship, as i do with his ex wife smile.
I'll ask him tonight. Kids have disappeared on their own (teens) so I'll get some time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now