Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Where could a homeless 17 year old go with a baby?

(57 Posts)
user1494700641 Wed 17-May-17 18:36:43

If they left their home? Would the baby be taken away?

LineysRun Wed 17-May-17 18:40:04

No. If they presented themselves to the local council, they'd be found emergency accommodation - likely to be a hostel space or B&B. It would possibly be a bit of a grim process, though.

NellieFiveBellies Wed 17-May-17 18:40:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crumbs1 Wed 17-May-17 18:46:04

They are both children so the local authority has responsibilities towards them.

Screamifuwant2gofaster Wed 17-May-17 18:47:48

They need to contact homeless section of local authority. They will be treated as high priority. The local authority (council) will have a responsibility to find them somewhere they can stay. Good luck.

5BlueHydrangea Wed 17-May-17 18:48:30

Some areas have mother and baby units but this may be only if there are associated mental health issues too.
Is this for you OP? Do you have any real life support?

BettyBaggins Wed 17-May-17 18:56:22

Why do they need to leave their home op?

AyeAmarok Wed 17-May-17 18:58:01

Are they (the 17 year old) vulnerable? Aside from he obvious of being vulnerable because you're 17 and have a baby. I mean, are there some other issues which may make them especially vulnerable?

user1494700641 Wed 17-May-17 19:10:54

No, no support... A few reasons.

What are other issues that make them vulnerable?

LineysRun Wed 17-May-17 19:31:34

Vulnerable might include domestic abuse from family or partner; mental health problems; learning difficulties; other health problems or additional needs.

Screamifuwant2gofaster Wed 17-May-17 19:35:22

Local authorities will not take babies away from theit mums unless they have no other option. If a 17 year old mother is homeless but able to care for baby properly they will not separate them. Councils genuinely don't want to take babies away from mums unless there is no other option.

alonsypot Wed 17-May-17 19:39:56

Has your 17 year old run away?

triedandrusted Wed 17-May-17 19:40:05

I used to work at a day centre for the homeless. If the council won't/can't help, I remember once a man turned up at the local church and the church paid for him to stay in a b&b for a week. I don't have a religion, and feel some of the world's ills are caused by religion, but I was impressed by that. They didn't want anything in return either (i.e., they didn't try to 'convert' him).

So, that's an idea.

MatildaTheCat Wed 17-May-17 20:02:34

Is the baby born? Many pregnant teens end up sofa surfing for a while. Housing will have an obligation to house her but it may well be a hostel or B&B which, depending on the area and availability, could be miles away and pretty rough.

As pp said there are various charities which run mother and baby houses but they will require adherence to house rules. Some boroughs have semi supported housing but the pressure on places is huge.

Some 17 years olds are pretty mature and can manage a tenancy, baby and all that goes with independent living and some are very far from that so their needs have to be carefully assessed. Midwives and health visitors can offer a lot of support.

So, Housing, CAB and Children's services can all offer support. If we had more info we could offer more advice.

user1494700641 Wed 17-May-17 20:12:42

Yeah, baby is born. What other info?

ParadiseCity Wed 17-May-17 20:14:10

Are you trying to track someone down? Or is this for you?

user1494700641 Wed 17-May-17 20:16:10

It's for me...

Dawnedlightly Wed 17-May-17 20:16:14

No need for any other 'vulnerabilities'
Anyone with responsibility for a child that young would be housed- very likely in a hostel/ B&B.
Are you worried that other issues would mean the baby could be taken away?

Dawnedlightly Wed 17-May-17 20:16:59

PM if you wish OP- it's anonymous.

peukpokicuzo Wed 17-May-17 21:12:50

There are some specialist mother-and-baby foster carers who will be both foster-mum to 17yo and foster-grandma to baby, providing backup care and teaching 17yo what she needs to know.

Baby would only be removed if in danger eg if 17yo is drug user and using in a way that risks baby's life.

BertieBotts Wed 17-May-17 21:23:18

Right now if you have nowhere to go, go to a police station.

Have you been kicked out or have you left because of arguments/fear of violence?

RedastheRose Wed 17-May-17 21:26:34

You can't be given a tenancy of a council property until you are 18 and technically an adult so any accommodation offered by the council will be temporary until you're 18. Councils have an obligation to provide you with accommodation and genuinely do not want to part a mother and baby without very good cause. If you are caring for your child properly then they will help you. All councils used to have temporary housing (often rooms in a large supported house) for vulnerable people but funding cuts have affected them quite badly I think. Go to your local council with housing responsibilities and request emergency housing and they will find somewhere for you and the baby to go. Also if you can go to see citizens advice they should know all the benefits you may be entitled to (often there are emergency grants for necessities if you don't have the basics needed for a baby). Good luck.

ParadiseCity Wed 17-May-17 21:27:49

Good luck op flowers

Screamifuwant2gofaster Wed 17-May-17 21:45:45

Hey, Where are you staying at the moment? How old is your baby? If you say what general area you are in, someone on mumsnet may be able to give you better infornation (specific to your area). Totally understand if you don't want to say. I just mean saying county or general area of country. Have you got someone safe to stay tonight? Take care.

BertieBotts Wed 17-May-17 21:48:47

I assume that you have a phone. Some more options.

If you have run away from violence or emotional/verbal abuse, you can contact Women's Aid, who may be able to house you temporarily. 0808 2000 247

As you are under 18 you can call Childline. 0800 1111

You can call or text the Runaway Helpline on 116 000. It doesn't matter if you've "run" away or been forced.

I'm not in the UK but I assume it's dark now. Don't stay on the streets with your baby. They WON'T separate you if you ask for help, but it might raise concerns if you're failing to act to protect your baby. Call 999 if you have no other option.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: