Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

House sale

(6 Posts)
rusholmemuffins Tue 16-May-17 19:05:20

Divorcing husband. I'm still living in the house with my children. I'm in a new relationship and want to move in with new partner. I wanted a quick sale and have agreed a price. STBXH has found out that I have agreed the sale. He wants more money and is kicking off, saying I should have asked for more and that he'll stop the sale. Can he do this?

nigelsbigface Tue 16-May-17 19:11:05

If he owns half the House (name on the mortgage) then yes he can control if you sell it or not -you would have to get a solicitor involved to untangle it all.
If his name isn't on the mortgage then it would be less easy for him to do so, but I would still see a solicitor to make sure you are on the correct side of the law.

beachcomber243 Tue 16-May-17 19:19:24

I'd say he has every right to stop the sale if he has an equal share in it.

You really should have informed him of the offer before accepting it, so you could have negotiated a price which suits both of you.

Just because you want a quick sale and less money doesn't mean he should. He has to make a fresh start too.

When 3 of us siblings were selling the family house when mother died, my sister refused a realistic offer and did not inform me until after a fortnight. I was not happy at all. She has no experience of buying and selling and I do, it was when the recession was really biting into house prices.

Luckily we got hold of the potential buyer who was still around and willing to buy, and a good deal was done. If left to my sister it would have been on the market for months on end. It's a case where all parties must communicate....or the deal will fail when one party is not happy/ignored .

rusholmemuffins Tue 16-May-17 19:57:14

Yes, he's on the mortgage currently.

weatherbomb Tue 16-May-17 20:08:41

yes, he can stop it. my ex tried to sell the house behind my back. I stopped it.

isitjustme2017 Tue 16-May-17 20:19:31

Its not really fair that you did this and I can't blame him for being angry. Yes he can stop the sale and could stop you selling the house altogether if you're not careful. I would be more inclusive in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now