Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can he force me to move out?

(6 Posts)
whirlywoo Tue 16-May-17 15:07:33

Just need to put my mind at rest really.
If DH of 10 years was to turn round to me and say It's definitely over and that he wanted to sell the house would he be able to do so even though me and the dc's are living there while he's moved out to sleep at his friends while we are seperated?

I know my name isn't on the mortgage but I didn't know how it works with me having the dc's ?

There's not really any equity in the house just enough that would pay off any debts.

Reason I'm asking is because I'm feeling I'm wanting to make it a home. A lot more nicer than now to focus on something while I'm hurting. But I feel there's no point if he can make me move out.

FormerNymphet Tue 16-May-17 15:22:32

Short answer no he can't you have rights.
I hope someone who knows the legalities better than me (and can explain better than I) comes along and comments.

isitjustme2017 Tue 16-May-17 15:36:33

Even though you're not on the mortgage, is the home in your name? Even if it isn't, I'm pretty sure he can't force you out especially if you are living there with the children.
Property and money are classed as 'marital assets' so you are probably entitled to half the house anyway. Not sure if he can sell it without your permission though. If you're name was on the deeds then definitely no.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 16-May-17 15:48:53

As you are married at the moment no.
But if he files for divorce then he can force the house sale via that route.
If he's not threatening divorce then stay put.
You should get in touch with CAB to see where you would stand if he was to do this.

LisaMed1 Tue 16-May-17 15:49:51

Are you married?

I know you put DH but sometimes people use that as shorthand. There is no such thing as common law wife.

If you are married then you would have certain rights. Perhaps you could post in legal.

MrsBertBibby Tue 16-May-17 16:18:30

Assuming you are married you need to register your home rights. It is free.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: