Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Self help books for low self esteem/confidence, any recommendations.

(17 Posts)
TopEndChops Mon 15-May-17 23:14:05

Just want some ideas on how to boost self confidence, self esteem, how not to keep repeating the same relationship behaviours (read mistakes). I am recently out of a 20 year relationship and although it was my choice to leave, I am at rock bottom. Can anybody suggest any reading that was helpful. Thanks.

OnlyaBitStressed Mon 15-May-17 23:15:09

The Power of Now

Eckhart Tolle

Life changing!

TopEndChops Mon 15-May-17 23:20:04

Thanks I'll give that a go. I really feel like I do t know which way to turn at the minute, I feel like an empty shell. I do want to do anti-depressants as I feel they won't change the way I feel about myself, only I can do that, just need to work out how.

TopEndChops Mon 15-May-17 23:21:01

Couple of do's should read don't, cracked phone screen.

OnlyaBitStressed Mon 15-May-17 23:21:42

Then that's the book for you! Get there off mumsnet , download the evoke and change your life 😀

OnlyaBitStressed Mon 15-May-17 23:21:56

*thee

OnlyaBitStressed Tue 16-May-17 08:58:01

Hope you're feeling better!

mogratpineapple Tue 16-May-17 13:21:51

This one changed my life, no joke - The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Branden.

TopEndChops Tue 16-May-17 16:22:25

Thanks for the suggestions, think I'm going to get both.

OnlyaBitStressed - it comes and goes, but is always there smile I'm coming to realise I've been like it for a long time, but now I really want to change, or to learn to accept myself warts and all.

SafeToCross Tue 16-May-17 16:29:37

The 'Overcoming' series are generally written by very good therapists, so you could try 'Overcoming Low Self-Esteem' which I think may be by Melanie Fennel, or look up another one by her. Good luck.

Bluesue26 Tue 16-May-17 16:40:20

Im gonna bump this up if you don't mind. I'm very much In the same boat. The things I want to change are the ones on the inside.

noego Tue 16-May-17 18:16:37

Anything by Eckart Tolle.
The Direct Path Rupert Spira.
Anything by Dr Wayne Dyer.
Anything by Deepak Chopra.
Anything by Thich Nhat Hanh
Anything by Sadhguru.

All of the above can also be viewed in Satsang on You Tube.

TopEndChops Tue 16-May-17 23:00:23

Thanks, the suggestions are very much appreciated

Tiredbutnotyetretired Tue 16-May-17 23:49:58

There are talks on YouTube by ekhart tolle and many others, ie ted talks, theres lots of variety.
I like to read book reviews on amazon before i buy or on goodreads.com
Ive baught lots of books like this and sadly alot of them are quite dissapointing, even when reviewers have rated them excellent. Listen to YouTube, tony robbins, ajahn brahm, Oprah are quite good

Tiredbutnotyetretired Tue 16-May-17 23:51:59

@noego, didnt realise but ive just echo'd your post, all the ones you have mentioned i have listened to, im always looking for more!smile

YetAnotherGuy Wed 17-May-17 00:47:31

Feel the Fear is good basic stuff I've used for years

I do some low key meditating too

And one useful tip is to view yourself as a third person wanting advice - you could be surprised how much kinder you would be to yourself

Good luck!

JudeeLevinson Wed 17-May-17 07:26:40

"A Woman in your own right" by Anne Dickson (about assertiveness)
"Women who run with the wolves" Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now