Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

He cheated 10 years ago

(19 Posts)
Itsuglyhead Mon 15-May-17 13:26:23

NC for this. Have been wanting to post for weeks but didn't have the courage.

Met DH 25 years ago, both had DC from previous relationships. I was never married, split up due to EA. He was divorced because of infidelity on both sides.

We married after 10 years together and both worked hard to make a nice life for all of us. Dh's job takes him away overseas quite a lot.

Three years after marrying DH suggested a baby. I really wasn't keen, other children were late teens and it seemed like a step back.

I also wasn't keen on going part-time with work because of loss of independence.

Anyway the following year we had a DC. It was wonderful. I was older so more confident and more patient. So we tried for another the following year.

When I was three months' pregnant the second time my DH had a landmark birthday. I was arranging a party for him so when he left his computer logged in I went on his email to find details of work colleagues etc so I could invite them.

I guess you know where I'm going.

Found some emails from a younger girl he worked with when he was overseas. To a country that at one time he was visiting for 3-4 days twice a month over a period of several years.

I rang him at work and ranted down the phone and he came straight home.

His first action was to delete all the emails from her! I now know that I made a mistake not reading those emails any further.

He also had her name stored under initials in his phone with messages along the lines of "I'm in town, fancy a pint?"

We rowed for a few days and he insisted that although they were suggestive nothing happened blah blah blah. The usual script.

We then went through the charade of a birthday party where he proudly announced that I was pregnant even though we hadn't spoken in weeks. I really I wanted to scream out loud and tell everyone what he'd done.

Eventually after a few months of agonising he apologised for 'upsetting me'. Crucially He stopped going to that country - he sent one of his colleagues instead. And that was that, life carried on as before.

Anyone who knows me would be absolutely shocked that he would do it and also shocked that I had let him get away with it. That's not my style at all as usually I don't put up with crap from anyone.

I have never told anyone. I felt that if I did then that would be beginning of the end. Nor did I want people to think badly of him.

Now he has another big birthday looming and it has brought it all back to me.

I have never felt suspicious about him or checked up on him either before or since but it is eating me up now.

I fear that if I had read those emails back then we would no longer be married - and yet we're happy now.

I got up the other night and tried to google how to retrieve deleted messages and tried to do it on his machine but it wouldn't go far back enough.

But I feel I need to have this out with him once and for all. I know he'll be shocked if I mention it. I guess he thinks he got away with it.

In my heart of hearts I know he had a full blown affair with her. What do I do with that? I don't want to split up so not sure what can be achieved now.

What would you do?

yetmorecrap Mon 15-May-17 14:47:36

I am going to pm you OP, I totally understand and have similar

itsuglyhead Mon 15-May-17 14:57:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itsuglyhead Mon 15-May-17 14:59:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoreProseccoNow Mon 15-May-17 20:36:23

It sounds like his affair has never been confronted & it's eating away at you.

Please be kind to yourself; you were vulnerable & pregnant when it happened.

Is he sorry? Has he ever taken full responsibility for his actions?

itsuglyhead Mon 15-May-17 21:20:39

That's exactly it. I was vulnerable and there was a lot going on, we were buying a new house as well.

He only apologised few weeks later when I said "you've never apologised" and he said "I'm sorry if I upset you". That was in the middle of the night and then he turned away and went to sleep.

But without doubt he was apologising for inappropriate emails - and my reaction to them - nothing else.

MoreProseccoNow Mon 15-May-17 22:59:03

I think, in order for you to move forward, he needs to take responsibility for his actions & demonstrate remorse. Instead, he's swept it under the carpet & you are left raging.

What do you want to do?

itsuglyhead Mon 15-May-17 23:15:44

I think I'm going to write him a letter to get it all out of my system. I don't think I could get everything across in person.

Although I know then he'll begin minimising and it's a bit late now to prove otherwise.

He knows there's something wrong though. About half hour ago he said I've been off with him for weeks and wanted to know what's wrong.

This will be a bolt from the blue for him. He thinks it's all done and dusted years ago.

I'd quite like to see a counsellor as well either alone or together.

notapizzaeater Mon 15-May-17 23:18:16

You've never had closure on this - it needs to be discussed honestly in order to move on

itsuglyhead Tue 16-May-17 11:13:44

We had it all out last night. I couldn't keep it in. He kept on that he knew something was wrong.

We went round in circles. Him saying I've read more into the situation than it was. Said he deleted the emails because they were inappropriate flirting and I would have been upset sad but that it was no more than that.

He couldn't understand why I was bringing it up now and was emphatic that he had never ever kissed anyone or touched anyone or been unfaithful to me in any any way at any time.

I told him I'll never believe him no matter what he says and that he's done serious damage to our relationship. so that's where we are.

I've been to beauty salon this morning and the owner just mentioned in passing that they have rented out one of their treatment rooms to a relationship counsellor. It was almost like a sign.

I've just emailed her to ask for an appointment, just for myself initially. Not sure how DH will feel about going but I won't mention it until after I've seen her.

Understandably he just wants to put it all behind us.

PaintingByNumbers Tue 16-May-17 11:17:16

i'm really sorry. I hope your dh will finally be honest and your solo counselling works for you. my dh lied for years. the relief when he finally came clean was huge. the secrecy and lies ate away at us. I hope you are able to get the honesty you deserve or make your peace with not getting it if not

itsuglyhead Tue 16-May-17 11:27:12

I think that's my dilemma. I want honesty but I can't imagine he will ever deliver that. He really wants it to go away.

Could I handle the truth it anyway?

Once it's confirmed then what?

He said last night he could barely remember her name. Well that's bollocks because he worked with her for years and I certainly remember it.

I almost feel guilty about making him feel bad this morning. As if I've created a row over nothing.

MoreProseccoNow Tue 16-May-17 12:23:29

I think, on some level, you are ready to confront things. Are you prepared to split up? Perhaps in addition to counselling, you should have some legal advice, so that you know where you stand.

yetmorecrap Tue 16-May-17 12:42:21

As Ive said to you OP on PM, I know totally how you feel--- I found councelling helpful, it certainly stopped me reacting on my initial instincts and to be a bit more reflective. As she said to me you dont have to forgive or forget but you do need to make peace with yourself. There is a 50% likelihood he may well be telling the truth too, I have the same issue as you know. To me though it was the fact he even crossed the line, not how much he crossed the line. I am sure what we have experienced seems trivial compared to others but if it makes you feel differently about someone--then it just does and its whether you can get past that however long ago it was. At the moment Im still unsure. I too have a DH who just wants to forget it ever happened.

another20 Tue 16-May-17 12:49:14

You KNOW he was unfaithful from his history, from your gut, from the emails, from his actions at the time and his actions now.

What do you want from him now?

To know the scale of it? How long, how often, did he love her, where there others?

Will the answer to these Qs change how you feel or what you will do next?

Anyone who has been through this (including myself) knows that it is the lies, minimising, smoke-screening etc that will drive you MAD and are as disrespectful, damaging and a second deep betrayal. Salt in the wounds.

I would seek some counselling to support yourself emotionally - but I would be clear with him that his only chance of this repairing and resolving is all at his door and requires total truth.

itsuglyhead Tue 16-May-17 15:54:35

Yes it's the not knowing that is driving me insane.

He was frustrated last night that I'd brought it up but was very contrite and did apologise. But as I said before he seems to apologise for what I've seen rather than what he's done.

I don't want to split up - at this stage it would feel like an over-reaction.

I just don't know what I do want. Do I really want him to look me in the eye and say "yes, I had sex with her" ?

The next question then is when, where, how often, how long.. And so it goes on driving me in circles.

Forgot to mention earlier this woman has actually stayed in my house several times. Which is not unusual for us as we often have his colleagues from overseas staying with us rather than in a hotel. But still it makes me wonder if it was going on then. As far as I can remember I always left for work before him then so they would have our house to themselves.

It's so hard when they've hurt you so much but they're the ones you usually turn to if you're hurt.

another20 Tue 16-May-17 18:21:42

You already know he has had sex with her - he has form, your gut tells and circumstances tell you this.

You have chosen to ignore it for 10 years. That means that you want to save your marriage and forgive - but also means that you want the truth from him to be able to do this.

You need to tell him that is what you need from him.

itsuglyhead Wed 17-May-17 07:21:09

You're right.

We couldn't talk last night as he was home late from work and I went to bed early he's often late home but I think he was avoiding me a bit too.

Sadly it's not going to go away.

another20 Wed 24-May-17 14:34:07

How are you doing OP? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now