Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dirty new partner

(148 Posts)
dirtynewpartner Sun 14-May-17 11:15:05

I met a man almost two months ago. I spent a night at his yesterday and was appalled at the condition he lives in. Clothes on the floor by his bed, dirty dishes in the sink and couldn't walk on the kitchen floor with my socks or bare feet as I could feel stuff on the floor.

He has teenage children that come over the weekend, their rooms are a huge mess! Beddings look like they haven't been washed in months. There are crisp and sweet wrappers under their beds and carpets are littered with food particles.

I don't have OCD or anything but this is just a little much. This is a 42 year old man, am I being too fussy here?
This morning he's been in bed only got up to eat breakfast.

I said could we spend an hour cleaning the house and he got up for five minutes and sat back down then called me a nag!

GreyRock Sun 14-May-17 11:17:22

Eww grim. Calling you a nag? Man child. Run

Itsnotmyday Sun 14-May-17 11:19:15

Thats grim

pinkyredrose Sun 14-May-17 11:27:39

You've known him less than 2 months and you're offering to clean his house? Check your boundaries! And give this slob the heave go while you're at it.

Well, YABU if you thought your offer to clean together was going to change him or the situation one jot. On the contrary, it would have been the slippery slope to you becoming his unpaid skivvy. He did you a big favour by being such a sulky jerk.

Run, don't walk.

hmcAsWas Sun 14-May-17 11:29:26

Think he now needs to be dirty ex partner - no?

Lemonjellymoonstar Sun 14-May-17 11:30:17

Goodness. Dump the chump!

category12 Sun 14-May-17 11:32:49

Eww. Dump.

C0untDucku1a Sun 14-May-17 11:32:57

He is lazy. Dump Him. Ffs it has been weeks. It isnt a relationship. You
Should be dating. He is making no effort now, what will he be like in a year?

LozzaChops101 Sun 14-May-17 11:33:43

Bail out!

EverythingEverywhere1234 Sun 14-May-17 11:34:55

What the actual fuck are you offering to clean his house for?! You've only been together with this guy for five minutes!!

sooperdooper Sun 14-May-17 11:35:09

Grim, this would put me off a new relationship massively sad

TurnipCake Sun 14-May-17 11:35:10

Why on Earth did you offer to clean this slobs house for him?

Hope he's a dirty ex now

EverythingEverywhere1234 Sun 14-May-17 11:35:36

Also, in answer to your actual question, you're not being nearly fussy enough. I'd bin him off. What a gross specimen.

Fruitcocktail6 Sun 14-May-17 11:35:40

Ew, give it up.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sun 14-May-17 11:36:14

The dw made her lucky escape....
Follow suit. .

Mermaidinthesea123 Sun 14-May-17 11:38:24

I'd take one look at a house like this and leave I'm afraid. I am worth more than being an unpaid maid and I'm sure you are too. he sounds like a pig.

Dowser Sun 14-May-17 11:39:40

No way!

Highalert Sun 14-May-17 11:39:54

His kids bedrooms are none of your business.Why were you even in them.

DukeOfBurgundy Sun 14-May-17 11:40:02

Was this your first time there? You'd think he'd have made a bit of an effort.

I'm a slob, though. Bf is due round in half an hour and so far all I've managed to do is bin some icecream wrappers that were on the living room carpet (!) and put the ashtray outside. I'll probably put the socks that are strewn around the place in the laundry basket and put the dirty crockery into a neat pile (maybe I'll even wash some of it). My kitchen floor, seriously needs mopping. My bathroom needs a good clean. My bedroomr is a mess.

Basically OP, you and I Should never date.

I think differing standards of tolerable/acceptable cleanliness are hard to get past.

virgospirit Sun 14-May-17 11:40:20

I couldn't stomach that. I'm a single guy and manage to keep my house clean, wash my clothes, cook and wash the dishes it's not exactly difficult.

Highalert Sun 14-May-17 11:41:41

Clothes on the floor and dirty dishes in the sink are not bad has are they?

Highalert Sun 14-May-17 11:42:46

Not that bad*

QuintessentialShadow Sun 14-May-17 11:42:47

Blimey!
Would you have cleaned his house for him and become his girlfriend (read house slave) for ever after had he let you?

WTF is wrong with you!

Does his home not tell you everything you need to know about him, why he is single, and divorced, in the first place?

IamADalek Sun 14-May-17 11:43:20

Yuk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now