Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Advice on Clares Law needed please

(6 Posts)
Maryhadalittlelambstew Fri 12-May-17 13:39:46

Hello Mn'ers

I tried to nc for this but couldn't work out how.

I'm just looking for some advice on Clares Law please. Last year I left a very violent relationship. I don't want to give too much detail and out myself but he was charged, it went to court and he was found guilty and sentenced. When I was giving my statement I was talked to about Clares Law but I don't recall much of the info on it. Once someone is convicted of DV does that stay with them on their criminal record? Will he be on Clares Law?

Hidingtonothing Fri 12-May-17 17:31:10

Bumping this for you OP because my knowledge is patchy about this but yes, I would imagine your ex's DV conviction would show up in an application under Clare's law. As I understand it the information would only be given in the interests of a potential victim (so to someone in an intimate relationship with the person involved or, in some cases, someone trying to protect a potential victim) so it wouldn't be 'public knowledge' as such but it would be on record. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will post to confirm but that's my understanding.

Paperdoll16 Fri 12-May-17 17:51:00

Yes, I believe it would. In fact he definitely would, as he was charged.

I know someone who reported a relatively new partner who wouldn't leave her alone after she saw too many red flags and she felt he was intimidating her. She made a statement and he was spoken to, and she thought that was the end of it. However, the police have made contact with her to inform her of his extensive history of DV, stalking and harassment which they quoted they had to divulge to her under Clare's law as she is deemed vulnerable at present.

Beachhairdontcare Fri 12-May-17 17:51:53

Hiding is correct. A concerned party can apply to police to have a previous history of DV offences disclosed. It is not public record, and the police will do a risk assessment before deciding whether to disclose information or not.

strugglingstepdad Fri 12-May-17 17:58:56

When I got together with my partner she was under social services wing and the children were at risk. One of the days her ex kicked off they came to stay at mine, but social services put them all in a refuge for a week. Their reason was that I'd not been background checked. The police used Clare's Law o give them the information they needed as an interim!

I think they need to do more with Clare's Law, as they aren't allowed to give the actual information, just that there's a risk.

Maryhadalittlelambstew Fri 12-May-17 21:11:04

Thank you everyone, that helps a lot.

It was an awful time, I'm so glad its over and I hate the thought of anyone else having to go through what I did. Hopefully awareness of Clares Law will rise as I had never heard of it until the police mentioned it to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now