Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Patronising over work hours

(14 Posts)
Zaphodsotherhead Fri 28-Apr-17 17:20:47

I texted my OH today (we don't live together) to tell him I'm working 36 hours next week (all BH weekend, plus the week). I work variable hours in a shop, anything from 16 hours to 38. I also work at home, in a job that takes anything from 25 hours a week to being practically full time, in addition to the shop work.

He texted back 'wish I could work only 36 hours'. He works a 40 hour week, but gets an hour for lunch every day, while I only get 20 mins, he also gets coffee breaks. He's got the BH off. How do I get him to understand that I work just as hard as he does? Not just at the 'day job', but, just because my other job is done at home, it's no less work!

Pisses me off.

LesisMiserable Fri 28-Apr-17 17:24:17

Why bother? Quibbling over work hours is as old as the hills isn't it. Unless he pays your way what does it matter what you work?

Zaphodsotherhead Fri 28-Apr-17 17:29:14

I guess it doesn't matter really. I'm just tired of the attitude that I spend all my time sitting on my backside.

MovingtoParadise Fri 28-Apr-17 17:29:56

"I see your maths has taken a right battering today since you can't subtract 40 minus 5 and 36 plus 25. Hope you manage to find your way home with your new dementia symptoms".

SeaCabbage Fri 28-Apr-17 17:34:23

This is going to continue to bug you and I don't blame you. If I were you I would choose a calm time and sit down with him adn say it really upset/annoyed you when he said that and then go through the maths with him.

Talk it out. You'll soon go off him if you don't!

Zaphodsotherhead Fri 28-Apr-17 17:34:46

LOL moving. Very tempted.

Actually I feel better just having written it down. Ignore me. Just ranting.

MiMiMaguire Fri 28-Apr-17 18:23:43

"Wish I had the bank holiday off and didn't have to work 2 jobs... You dick"

noego Fri 28-Apr-17 19:00:44

Seriously. We have to write this shit down??????????/

LemonSqueezy0 Fri 28-Apr-17 19:42:50

This would bother me, as I can't bear constant sniping and belittling. It's so unnecessary. He's taking the mikey by choosing to remember only certain aspects of your set up. I don't think I could be with someone so petty again-I was before and although it sounds like nothing (to some) it's actually abusive.

Chloe84 Fri 28-Apr-17 20:21:06

Text him back to say 'wish I only had one job.' Knobhead. Please don't tell me you cook for the sod.

HeddaGarbled Fri 28-Apr-17 23:49:00

Oh don't bother with all this maths nonsense, arguing about 20 minute versus one hour lunch breaks plus who does or doesn't get coffee breaks. A relationship shouldn't be a competition where you measure each other's working hours to the minute.

You have stopped communicating like people who love and care about each other. Have you stopped loving and caring about each other?

Fmlgirl Sat 29-Apr-17 18:14:50

What a tosser.

Zaphodsotherhead Sat 29-Apr-17 19:29:49

TBH, we don't see each other much at the moment. We live 30 miles apart and it's now only every three weeks or so - I work most weekends and have unpredictable shift patterns.
He's not s bad bloke, just very childlike in s lot of ways, he's never had money worries so finds it VERY difficult to imagine my life (I think he thinks I live without heat/hot water because I secretly enjoy it).

ANewDawn Sun 30-Apr-17 10:00:06

My sTBXH still goes on about 'poor me' and how hard done by he is. Sucks the life out if you. Is this the top of the iceberg or a one off? Life's too short.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now