Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Help with Living Situation

(5 Posts)
Dontknow12 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:05:11

So after a year of break up. The ex and I came to the conclusion yesterday that one needs to move out.

He will be letting me live in the flat and he is going off to rent somewhere else. We will deal with selling and ownership of the flat much later down the line.

What I wanted to know is does anyone know of a document that we can get that says what each of us will still be paying towards the property etc. That even though he is leaving keys behind that I can't just change the locks and lock him out (which I would never do). Or is it just something that we need to write oursleves. We are both going to sign it and keep a copy. Not lodging anywhere legally for now.

Changedname3456 Thu 27-Apr-17 11:53:22

Dc involved?

ImperialBlether Thu 27-Apr-17 11:55:05

You need to get a solicitor to draw something up. Though everything's friendly now, it might not be in the future. Your home might increase or decrease in price. He might decide he wants it back. He might get a new partner who sticks her oar in. Protect yourself by paying a solicitor to draw up a contract.

Dontknow12 Thu 27-Apr-17 21:18:20

No children.

At the moment we don't want to get solicitors involved and just have something between us that says how much each has to pay towards the flat and a review date.

JK1773 Thu 27-Apr-17 21:20:43

You need a separation agreement. Best to get a solicitor to draft it but there are precedents online

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: