Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Finances after a break up

(10 Posts)
bobsleighteam Sat 22-Apr-17 15:28:52

I probably should put this in money matters but I'm guessing this topic is more active. My husband and I have split up. At present he's still living here. It's only been two days. We both work but receive a small amount of tax credit. When he officially leaves I'm obviously going to have to inform the relevant departments but I'm panicking.
I'm guessing they will close our claim and open a new one. Has anyone been in this position and know how long these things take?
Paying my rent each month will leave me only £100 left from my wages so I'm going to be fairly dependant on tax credits for a while at least. We have no savings although I'm obviously doing my best to save what I can between now and when he goes but if it's only a week or so that doesn't give me much time.

KanielOutis Sat 22-Apr-17 18:04:39

Will he be contributing? I'm better off now because I have access to money, whereas I didn't in the marriage. The ex has to pay child support too which isn't counted for tax credits and can be substantial.

happypoobum Sat 22-Apr-17 18:57:38

Do you have children? How many and what ages?

He would have to give you at least 15% of his net pay for one child, and 20% if more than one.

How many hours a week do you work?

I appreciate it is all very raw still but you should probably see a solicitor for advice. Many will give 30 minutes free advice.

Good luck

bobsleighteam Sat 22-Apr-17 19:53:35

I do have children but they are from a previous relationship. 11 and 15. He won't be contributing anything. I work thirty hours a week in a children's nursery for basically minimum wage. My ex the children's dad died last year in incredibly traumatic circumstances. My grief over his death has contributed massively to the break up of my marriage and means I don't receive child support at all.

ImperialBlether Sat 22-Apr-17 19:59:06

That sounds like a horrible situation to be in.

Go onto the Entitled To website and see what'll happen to your tax credits when you only put your own information in. Did your ex husband have a pension or any life assurance? It's tough having to pay for everything yourself.

bobsleighteam Sat 22-Apr-17 20:03:19

It's been the hardest year of my life. He had some money that's all gone into a trust fund for the children. I think I'll be okay financially when tax credits have been sorted but googling tells me it could take 6-8 weeks. I'm trying to get myself prepared now for him going but it all feels a bit hopeless.

ImperialBlether Sat 22-Apr-17 21:30:25

Was your ex husband paying maintenance before he died? Because that should have priority before he leaves money to the children. I'm really sorry he died and sorry it damaged your marriage, but I think you need to be careful about saving money for children when that money should be used for their upbringing now.

scottishdiem Sat 22-Apr-17 23:53:07

I have none of the details obviously and I am sorry for your situation.

Was the money put in trust to avoid it going to you and your husband to look after for the children? It might be possible to speak to the trust administrator to see if there can be something done about that in the short term.

bobsleighteam Sun 23-Apr-17 13:52:11

The trust money from what I'm aware came as a died in service payment of some sort and is two years wages. It went directly to his mum as next of kin and she told me she was going to put it in a fund for the children. I don't know anything else about it. It hardly registered we all were obviously grieving and money was the last thing on anyone's mind.
I don't think there was a specific desire to stop me or my husband having it. My ex and I were incredibly close I love him to this day but he also had a long term partner and I think putting it in a trust was just the easiest solution for everybody.

scottishdiem Sun 23-Apr-17 14:30:09

I'd as her then as its her grandchildren that will be affected if you are all struggling for a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now