Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Betrayal by ex

(10 Posts)
carrie999 Wed 19-Apr-17 10:52:09

I've been married for 30 years and separated for 10 years. Never divorced. Now husband wants to divorce as he has found a new 'partner'. He has told this person, who I will never meet, about my personal medical condition (I have MS). I feel totally let down - how dare he share this with someone who lives half a mile from me? Has he breached The Human Rights Act, Section 8 - Right to Respect for Private and Family Life (personal information is disclosed to other people without your consent)? I'm angry, upset and totally betrayed - he doesn't think he's done anything wrong and shows no remorse. Any advice would be very gratefully received

jojo2916 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:14:27

Bit over the top of you IMO he's bound to mention that, my husband had ms and I've discussed it with my partner as he's mentioned things about his ex , that said I would never discuss the personal issues related to his illness only general, if your ex has done this hibu but if you have been split for 10 years I'd try not to let him even enter your train of thought do something nice for yourself instead and forget him as you are not together.

Tearsoffrustration Wed 19-Apr-17 11:17:31

I think realistically other people who you know have probably told people you don't know you have MS - sorry

TheTabardOfDoom Wed 19-Apr-17 11:18:20

Way OTT. If he is serious about her, it's bound to come up in conversation. People mention FACTS about each other all the time. Can you imagine if we all started citing which act of which law they were bending or breaking all the time? Are there other reasons why you are so angry with him OP?

glitterglitters Wed 19-Apr-17 11:21:13

The amount that it would cost to pursue this would be insane. This has been used in court by Sara Cox after nude photos surfaced from her honeymoon. She was awarded £50k but the legal fees alone were around £200k.

I'm sorry that your ex had revealed this though. It's bang out of order flowers

user1483387154 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:21:35

YABU total over reaction.

EverythingEverywhere1234 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:25:54

YABU, this is a massive overreaction. You've been apart 10 years, you need to emotionally detach yourself. Also, why is partner in quotation marks? They are marrying, this is a partner hmm
Wrt to the MS issue, it's a non-issue. What will she do with that information? I dread to think how you'd react if you knew how many friends and acquaintances of yours have told people that you don't know, in passing, about your MS. It comes up in conversation sometimes.

MysweetAudrina Wed 19-Apr-17 11:30:10

Complete over reaction. Did you make him sign an official secrets form before you told him about this:? Of course he was going to share something like that with her. It is completely normal to discuss issues like this with a partner. He doesn't owe you his silence. Have you never discussed anyone else's personal circumstances with anyone before?

carrie999 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:41:08

Thank you for your contributions. Over and out.

carrie999 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:41:12

Thank you for your contributions. Over and out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now