Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Definition of Friends?

(9 Posts)
100feet Sun 16-Apr-17 21:19:10

What is your definition of real genuine friendship? I know there are degrees of friendship but generally to me its about mutual respect and enjoying each others company. Would you say a friend that only sends cards at Christmas or Birthdays but doesn't actually meet you throughout the year a real friend?

Manorbier Sun 16-Apr-17 22:30:40

Interesting question generally -no in response to your last question

Avioleta Sun 16-Apr-17 22:36:47

It depends really. I have a friend I see very infrequently. I don't think I've seen her in person for 18 months or so. BUT whenever I do see her it's like it's only been a week since we last saw each other. In my case, my friend lives some distance away and we are both busy so meeting up doesn't happen without a lot of forward planning. Why don't you see your friend very often?

SwearyInn Sun 16-Apr-17 22:41:31

A friend to me is someone who likes me. I'm difficult to like. But I have to like them too. I have minimal contact with my friends but it's nice when we catch up. Though i've recently realised I probably value their friendship than they mine. but it's better than being friendless.

Teabagtits Sun 16-Apr-17 22:47:25

I use the term friend very loosely online to refer to someone I know and will stop and talk to in real life but that's because it's quicker to type friend than acquaintance or an alternative. My definition of a friend is probably stricter than most. To me a friend is someone you can trust and rely on. You'll happily share elements of your life with them that you wouldn't with, e.g. A colleague or a neighbour. You'd spend time together (although not necessarily regularly) and you respect them and they, you. There's no judgement only acceptance.

But there are varying degrees of friendship from my observations of humans. I don't have any real friends but I know thousands of people.

Titsywoo Sun 16-Apr-17 22:50:46

It's an interesting question. One I've been thinking about a lot recently. But I think there are different types of friends and you can't expect the same from all of them.

100feet Sun 16-Apr-17 22:57:14

None of my friends drive generally!

100feet Sun 16-Apr-17 23:01:48

I expect very little from friendships just that the person be reliable, non flaky and generally not all me me me.

100feet Sun 16-Apr-17 23:03:27

I have Crapbook but none of the people on there are people who would notice if dropped down dead just people i know like most people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now