Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Help with Will making

(13 Posts)
annab4028 Fri 14-Apr-17 19:27:13

Hi I'm new here so please be kind smile

My and my hubby have been together 6 years,he has two children 16 and 14, I have one daughter 18.

We need to make a will and i'm not sure we can decide on how to split the house.
Hubby thinks it should go 33% each to all children... problem being is I don't!!
We don't see his children and they don't speak to me when we have.
Also I believe the house to be 50/50 and think my daughter should get my half 50% and his children get shared his 50%.
I don't want to argue and see his point but I cant seem to understand any reason why I should give any part of his house when they are no part of our life apart from the fact there mother gets £500 a month for child maintenance!!
Don't want to sound bitter but this is my daughters home and she would be left with 50 if hubby did will in his way.
I would also like to add, if they was in our life I would still not differently.
Please advice....not rant or argue....

Thank you xx

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 14-Apr-17 19:29:12

There's an MNer called Mumblechum who did my will for me. Have a look for the ads section or small businesses (not sure what it's called), she's normally got something in there.

chickenjalfrezi Fri 14-Apr-17 19:30:33

You're right - whether you see or speak to the DC is irrelevant. You are 50:50 co-owners so each of you should leave your own share to your own DC. Madness otherwise.

Chocolateteabag Fri 14-Apr-17 19:40:03

50:50 split

There was a similar thread on this yesterday where the Op has 3 dc and her DH 2, both from previous relationships - the consensus there was 50:50 split rather than splitting 5 ways

ImperialBlether Fri 14-Apr-17 19:47:24

You're right. It should be split 50:50 between you and your husband, with each of you leaving a percentage to your own children (in your case, 100% to your child, in his case, 33% to each child.)

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Fri 14-Apr-17 19:50:54

If he had 1dc and you had 2 I bet he wouldn't be suggesting this split op...
50/50 between you and him then do what you want with your 50%!!

TheTabardOfDoom Fri 14-Apr-17 19:53:08

Fifty fifty split but outlive him, change your will and keep everything for you and yours. grin

cauliflowercheese14 Fri 14-Apr-17 20:13:51

God yes 50:50, no question.

ImperialBlether Fri 14-Apr-17 20:26:22

TheTabard, assuming you're being serious there, it wouldn't make any difference if HIS will states his half goes to his children.

holdontotheaffirmative Fri 14-Apr-17 21:40:09

Firstly, you and your dp will have to have one will each and they don't need to be identical, or even similar. You each own 50% of the property and can do as you wish with your 50%. Of course it's up to you, but personally, I would see my 50% share as my dd's inheritance and I don't think anyone could persuade me to dilute that in any way. Likewise, your dp can do as he wishes with his 50% share and will probably want to leave it to his kids. He doesn't have any right to influence what you do with your share. Good luck- I appreciate it's a tough conversation to have!

Dowser Sat 15-Apr-17 00:12:38

I agree
Fifty to your children and fifty to his.
Thankfully my husband doesn't have children.
Sounds like you need a will and a trust.
So the trust can't be broken.

Also watch out for care home fees...nobody gets anything if you both need to go into care.

TheTabardOfDoom Sat 15-Apr-17 11:39:47

Imperiel is right of course. We have it that whoever goes first leaves everything to the other. Our current wills would only work if we died together. If he wants to leave his half to his DC then you could be in a position where you have to sell up in order to honour that will OP, so proceed with caution. We have recently remade our wills after a family rift but if DH died I would keep it pretty much as it is now.

Ellisandra Sat 15-Apr-17 12:00:42

It's complicated when there are first families.

I have one child, fiancé has two. We are leaving our own assets to our own children. The house we will live in is mine, his house will be rented out. We will have a prenuptial agreement (not 100% binding but increasingly accepted by courts).
So it's simple for us.

Usually I would say exactly the same as the other posters - 50/50 and children then split that.

But - I actually don't think there is "one family pot" second time round, when children are older and have other parents.

Who paid for your current house?

If I had paid for 80% of my house, and had 2 kids vs partner's 1, then I would think even split was fair. (It's actually not in my favour!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now