Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Splitting up with daughter's step dad

(1 Post)
Rubixcubecheat Fri 14-Apr-17 13:06:16

Really need advice on how to handle this to cause as little upset to my daughter as possible.
Split up with Dds dad when she was 3 and a half, very quickly fell for my current partner and he became involved in my dds life from when she was 4, moving in when she was 5 and a half. She is now 7 and a half and they get on very well but i am finding myself feeling uncertain over the future of the relationship.
I just know i dont love him anymore, i feel uncomfortable watching him with my daughter knowing i feel that way, i dont have a relationship with his two children and if im perfectly honest although i know i should be bothered by this im just not (sorry just being honest), he isnt dynamic or social and this is irritating me more and more, i feel he cant do anything right and i know that this is me not him. We have sex but i know i dont feel any emotion there. Its come to a head for me recently when my daughter was admitted to hospital and i seeked emotional support from friends and family and found having to think of him to be a strain during this time (i know this is horrible).
I think i know what i need to do but i need to handle the situation in a way that will cause as little upset to my daughter as possible. The house is owned by my family so we wouldnt have to move at least. Ive been increasingly planning activities and days out that are just the two of us for a few months (things haven't been right for a while) but she is drawn to him when hes around and cares for him.
I dont see a relationship being maintained if split happens as i am sure he would move back closer to his parents and children.
Does anyone have any advice or has been in a similar situation, i feel so cruel but i think i know that i cant keep things as they are 🙁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now