Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is this the right attitude?

(7 Posts)
mythorreal Tue 11-Apr-17 20:07:33

My DH was talking to his MIL over skype. DD told her that I invented a new dish for the dinner. MIL comment was is she a scientist to invent? I felt bad hearing this. There were other occasions.Kids and DH went to INL's place for holiday. I have told my DD(6), not to have coffee or tea. Apparently MIL has offered her to taste coffee. She refused it. MIL made some sarcastic comment about my advise. DD told me that dad kept quiet. She had made comments in the past. I do not know in my absence, what she is saying about me to him.
I dont care about her comments, but the response of DH upsets me. Am I reasonable about my thoughts?

bigchris Tue 11-Apr-17 20:08:50

It's hard to say without hearing the tone

It all sounds quite innocent to me

SandyY2K Tue 11-Apr-17 21:22:52

Was your MIL aware that she's not to have coffee?

I do think it's wrong of your MIL to come across as critical and which it does sound a bit like she is.

Either that or she's a general pain in the neck.

Regarding the 'is she a scientist comment', it depends on the tone, but I also think the comment, regardless of the tone was uncalled for.

Why not just say that "that's really nice or what dish was it"

Your DD clearly felt it was a nice thing to share with MIL, yet your MIL decides to have a bit of a sly dig.

Isn't your relationship with her good, or is she like this with everyone?

mythorreal Wed 12-Apr-17 18:54:19

Thanks all. She is aware that kids are not allowed coffee. My relationship is generally good. though we speak less. Hardly she spoke anything like that to my face.
your comment eased my worry.
thanks again.

Crumbs1 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:58:11

Cross about nothingness.

mumsonthelash Thu 13-Apr-17 01:35:39

Stop encouraging dd to report back to you. It's wrong.

mythorreal Mon 17-Apr-17 18:12:48

I have never told dd to report or look for any issues! -mumsonthelash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now