Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Phone use in relationship

(9 Posts)
grobagsforever Mon 10-Apr-17 21:05:27

So I'm curious. Boyfriend and I been together 18 months. We see each other 1 or 2 times a week. Both have kids, busy jobs etc. We are in touch by text most days.

Yesterday we were chatting about the fact we've only spoken on the phone once in all the time we've been together- I needed a quick response to a question at the time. We both hate the phone and are happy with text.

Wondering how unusual we are? Anyone else phone -free?

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 10-Apr-17 21:21:44

We mostly text too - together nine months, see eachother 2/3 times a week.

It's just easier for us smile

MangoSplit Mon 10-Apr-17 21:23:07

We usually phone rather than text. We've been together since before texting was an option, so maybe that's why!

grobagsforever Mon 10-Apr-17 21:33:11

Mango split- I'm 36, got together with late DH in 2000. Didn't have mobiles but were delighted to ditch phone calls when we both got mobiles!

Suspendersformybelief Mon 10-Apr-17 21:40:09

When we met nearly three years ago, it was all by text. He hates phone calls and our jobs both meant a conversation about what to do that night meant a string of texts during the course of the day. We also had a couple our "too embarrassed to say to your face" conversations via text.

Now we live together, we call each other as
most of the time it's a "will you pick this up on the way home" thing.

Still send little soppy texts though.

I think for us, the more comfortable we got, the less we text

Moanyoldcow Mon 10-Apr-17 21:41:10

Been together 12 years - rarely speak on the phone unless it's urgent or a specific thing we can't do via text email. Text and email frequently though - pics of DS when we're out and about and DH is at work, requests from the shop, running late etc.

grobagsforever Mon 10-Apr-17 21:42:06

Interesting suspenders...that said I also never call my friends and have trained my mum not expect answers when she calls!

Forgettheworld Mon 10-Apr-17 22:09:43

Oh no I absolutely don't call anyone unless there's no other option and if someone rings I often ignore it! My DP rings me occasionally only if it's mega urgent

TokenGinger Mon 10-Apr-17 22:42:29

I think whatever works for you is fine. I'm definitely a texter whereas the guy I'm seeing is a phoner. Today I literally had just a good morning at 11am, but then a phone call at 9pm to say he'd not had the chance to read my messages, he'd just finished work and asked how my day had been and updated me on his day.

He's very much a "text with a purpose" type guy - i.e. He'll text to agree to arrangements, but won't text for arbitrary conversation, he'll pick up the phone and chew my ear off for an hour doing that 🙄❤️

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now