Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What to cook on a date at potential man's house

(15 Posts)
Norky1975 Mon 10-Apr-17 18:46:17

Help! I'm terrified
Something simple but not a bowl of cornflakes

noego Mon 10-Apr-17 18:49:12

Spag bol smile brings out the best in people smile All that slurping smile

offside Mon 10-Apr-17 18:50:01

Steak and chips, homemade of course. Could even throw in some king prawns and scallops and make it a kind of surf and turf. This is one of my DPs favourite dishes, so simple but so tasty! Oh, and don't forget the peppercorn sauce!

Booboo27 Mon 10-Apr-17 18:50:47

Something like fajitas always goes down well. Or how about a lasagne with a nice salad?

HorseDentist Mon 10-Apr-17 18:51:10

You are cooking at his house? hmm

sucue Mon 10-Apr-17 19:04:34

How strange, is he cooking at your house next time?

stitchglitched Mon 10-Apr-17 19:05:28

Why isn't he cooking for you?

Pestilentialone Mon 10-Apr-17 19:05:40

His house, he cooks.
However...
Have you thought this through properly?
If you don't know him well enough to know what to cook, should you be going to his house.

Norky1975 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:20:01

I offered! I enjoy cooking and it's seems a nice thing to do for someone. I've already known him 20 years

Tiredbutnotyetretired Mon 10-Apr-17 19:21:49

I got quite a reaction from posters on here for going to a mans house on a date who was cooking for me, turned out he was only interested in one thing and it wasnt the cooking! Be warned hmm he could be expecting more.

Ellisandra Mon 10-Apr-17 19:25:00

If you enjoy cooking, you're presumably experienced at it.
Either: just cook something YOU like and are confident to make.
Or: tell him you love trying new recipes so he should tell you his favourite dish and you'll make a variation on that.

I'd go for the latter as you know he'll enjoy it.

Personally if not asking him, I'd go for a tapas / mezze platter type thing. About 6 dishes (choose some that you can do in advance) with flat breads that are quickly warmed. No worry that he won't like the main thing as it is different dishes, and sharing plates are very date friendly wink

Bluntness100 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:27:04

I'm not sure I'd go to a mans house and cook for him. Will you shag him after. Sorry op. Unless you say he comes to your house and cooks I can't see any attraction in this, if I was going to a mans house I'd expect him to cook for me.

Pestilentialone Mon 10-Apr-17 19:28:16

OK twenty years is long enough, just grin.
Something that is simple but seems like it might be faff. Poor DH is under the impression that stroganof is demanding on the cook. Most importantly, do something you both like.

Floggingmolly Mon 10-Apr-17 19:33:59

You've known him twenty years and he's still a "potential"?

Cricrichan Mon 10-Apr-17 19:48:26

Make a chicken curry. With rice and nan bread and some dips and pickles. Easy and you could even make the curry ahead and just reheat when you get there.

Otherwise pulled pork with guacamole and refried beans, salsa, jalapeños etc.

Or if he likes fish then that's really nice and easy. Pan fried sea bass with steamed veggies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now