Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Facebook and 'blocking' your soon-to-be ex-H

(11 Posts)
Polly46219 Sun 09-Apr-17 22:19:56

This might sounds pathetic but should I block my ex on facebook? We've been together for 10 years and married for 4. He left me and our two year old three months ago. He's gone straight into a serious relationship with a woman at work. I'm trying to get over him which is so bloody hard as obviously we have to have some contact because of our son. The reason I'm wavering about blocking him is because we have a 10 year connection on there - our life together is documented in posts and photos - but more importantly, because of what photos he'll be posting of our son in the future. I suppose I'm struggling to let go if I'm honest and I want to know everything my little boy is up to! Thoughts please mumsnetters X

Avioleta Sun 09-Apr-17 22:23:13

I haven't blocked my ex but I have out him on my restricted list. Which means that he cannot see my profile unless I tag him (which I do sometimes if I want him to see pictures of the DCs) and his stuff does not appear in my newsfeed. Although I ocassionally torture myself by looking at his profile it's a compromise that mainly works for me.

Mrscaindingle Sun 09-Apr-17 22:25:37

I blocked my ex as I didn't want to torture myself with what he was up to with the OW, I also blocked a couple of his friends as I didn't want things I was posting to get back to him. But we dislike each other now and so it wasn't a difficult decision.

Only you can decide really, depends on your relationship with him, if it's friendly then it could be fine, if it's not you'd be as well cutting ties with him.

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Sun 09-Apr-17 22:26:47

Unfollow him and restrict his access to you. You never know when you might benefit from bring his fb friend.

mickyblueyes Mon 10-Apr-17 11:07:56

He's gone straight into a serious relationship?!? Are you sure he wasn't cheating on you? Who goes straight into a serious relationship after 10 years together...but i guess thats besides the point in answer to your question about blocking him.

My advice would be to block and unfriend...It's a really hard thing to do, I've been in your position. Don't torture yourself by seeing his posts. Trust me, in order for you to grieve and heal from your relationship ending you need to cut as many ties as possible with your ex. You need to start looking at any interactions with your ex as purely about pick up/drop off's of your child and their welfare.

My advice may sound a bit drastic, but for me it's the only way I started to heal from my 25 year marriage ending.

hellsbellsmelons Mon 10-Apr-17 12:10:12

My recent ExP is blocked.
My ExH isn't.
I blocked recent ExP because I was looking too often.
Had to block OW as well.
But my ExH, like you say, a lot of pictures, history, etc....

Strawberryjam34 Mon 10-Apr-17 14:09:36

I've got my ex husband blocked, ow and a lot of his and her friends / family. I also had to delete a lot of mutual friends as I know for a fact they were spying on me for him. I know he would absolutely love to know what I'm posting on there though. Pathetic really! (Nothing about him by the way)

mickyblueyes Mon 10-Apr-17 16:04:34

From what I understand "unfriending" removes them from your facebook...this means if you want to re-connect you have to send a request to that person.

Blocking is totally at your control...you can block and unblock as you wish.

I might have got that wrong, i did both with my Ex. Good Riddance!

Polly46219 Mon 10-Apr-17 20:45:46

mickeyblue - yes, he was cheating - right before Christmas and dropped the bombshell the day after Boxing Day. I found all this out after he told me he was leaving me at the end of last year. It was horrendous. Anyway, if it wasn't for my son, he and his family would be blocked and I'd probably move to another city!! I think if you 'block' someone, they automatially get unfriended.

MrTCakes Mon 10-Apr-17 20:49:04

Yes , if you block they get unfriended.
I blocked my ex husband a couple of weeks after separating as it was just another platform for abuse from him.

MargotMoon Mon 10-Apr-17 21:52:51

Block him. If you have access to his profile it will make it harder to move on. If you want to share info/pics of DC with him then whatsapp is sufficient. Fb stalking allows the pain to linger, I know someone who was in your shoes nearly 10 years ago and she still checks her ex's profile and agonises over pics of him with OW and their new DC/life together. She hasn't had a new relationship that whole time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now