Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can I register interest on the house?

(6 Posts)
Lulu1083 Sun 09-Apr-17 19:58:36

I am now moving towards divorce, I have my free consultation solicitors appointment booked (woohoo!)

So I have more time to talk about other issues can I ask if anyone knows about property law and divorce?

He jointly owns a house with his sister, 50/50. They were looking to sell this before we split and I'm now very concerned that this will happen and he will try to hide the money somehow/splash the cash and blow a large percentage as he is claiming he cant afford a solicitor so I won't get anywhere with the divorce.

Is there any way I can register an interest or prevent the sale without my consent? He could sell it to her for £5 and leave me and the children with nothing yes he really is that much of a dick

Anyone with some knowledge or experience on this? I'd be ever so grateful.

ChristinaParsons Sun 09-Apr-17 21:54:08

You can sign up to HM Land registry alert service

JK1773 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:58:25

See your lawyer. If he tries to dispose of it at an undervalue to his sister the court can reverse that and him and his sister could find themselves paying your legal bills. It's a very unwise move and one the family courts are very used to. Try not to worry x

summersoversnoopy Sun 09-Apr-17 22:16:54

I had to do this, you need to register your matrimonial home rights with the land registry - then he can't sell the property without you knowing, as I understand it the property can't be sold until your home rights are lifted, only you can do this when everything is sorted. Your solicitor will be able to help you.

Lulu1083 Sun 09-Apr-17 22:23:33

Thanks all, if it needs to be discussed I'll add it to the list.

Summer this isn't the home where we live so I don't think I can go with home rights, wouldn't we have to live there?

summersoversnoopy Sun 09-Apr-17 22:35:40

Sorry, yes, I think you have to live there for matrimonial home rights, although I lived there when initially registered I left not long after and they remained until divorce was settled. Ask your solicitor, I am sure there is something you can apply for to 'register' your interest in a property

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: