Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Just told him not to bother with kids again

(26 Posts)
BrokenRainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 16:29:56

After being 2 hours late for pick up AGAIN I told him not to bother with them again. I feel bad but he has no respect for my time, I've explained it to him numerous times to please prioritise his children but he doesn't get it.

Supposed to pick them up at 1, I get a text at 1 telling me he's waiting for his lunch (lives with mummy and they live other side of London so a good 45 mins drive) I didn't say anything. 2:30 and tells me he needs to drop his mum off somewhere and THEN he'll make his way. I reply to remind him I need to go to a place that's quite far which shuts at 6. He texts to say she's getting dressed I'll be quick.

I told him not to bother and I'll be taking them out instead. He phones to say I have no respect (like he does for me?!?)

So I told him not to bother with them again.

Was I unreasonable?

AnyFucker Sat 08-Apr-17 16:31:30

Yanbu

In future, make the kids available at the exact time agreed

If he is not there within 5 minutes of it, crack on doing your own thing

Keep a diary and document it all

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 08-Apr-17 16:32:03

Do the children want to see him?

gamerchick Sat 08-Apr-17 16:33:06

Maybe it should go through the courts? I fucked my ex off eventually and told him to take me to court if he's bothered. He hasn't yet. Likes to moan at anyone who'll listen though hmm

VimFuego101 Sat 08-Apr-17 16:35:23

YANBU. You made sure the kids were available at the planned time, and it wasn't an emergency that caused him to be late.

BrokenRainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 16:36:10

I've told him not to bother again though? Shall I go back on my words.

Kids are 6 and 3 and they love him, told them he's not well and would they like to go park and ice cream and they nearly hit my arm off, still at park now and loving it. They obviously miss their dad. He pissed off in New Year's Eve. They see him Saturday to Sunday 24 hours, every other weekend unless he wants to see them more.

BrokenRainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 16:37:03

He's never been on time on any pick up btw.

BrokenRainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 16:37:24

Bit*

BrokenRainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 16:38:49

I doubt he will go through courts gamer might do the same as your ex and say I've stopped him seeing his kids but secretely love that he doesn't need to bother with them. Win-win situation for him

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 08-Apr-17 16:39:23

He has no respect for his children, you absolute did the right thing.

Hidingtonothing Sat 08-Apr-17 16:47:04

Will he get back in touch do you think? Try to talk you round so he can see them? If so then yes, I would go back on what you've said, tell him he has one last chance, that it's unfair on the kids when he doesn't turn up when they're expecting him to and that he has one month to prove he can stick to the agreed times. If he's late or doesn't show up even once in that month I would make him apply through the courts to see them.

CauliflowerSqueeze Sat 08-Apr-17 16:50:31

I think I would reiterate that they love him and miss him. And I would say that the next time you will operate a 20 minute window - so if he says 2pm then they will be available any time between 2 and 2:20. After that don't bother.

BrokenRainbow Sat 08-Apr-17 20:22:39

Thanks for the replies.
I wonder if he will bother.

I also wonder if he will pay their maintenance this week (not court ordered).

Why is he still giving me a hard time? He's left me to take 2 kids to 2 different schools, took the car and left us without much. I've been soldering on never once initiated a text or speak to him, so made it very easy for him in essence.
All he needs to do is turn up at the right time to immaculate, fed and watered kids.

BertieBotts Sat 08-Apr-17 20:27:54

He is trying to exert control by not being on time. It's all about his time being more important than yours.

mycavitiesareempty Sat 08-Apr-17 21:48:52

Yes yes to control. I think this is what habitiual lateness is usually about, if not cultural.

Cherrysoup Sat 08-Apr-17 23:00:26

Please organise proper maintenance. If he fails to turn up on time, I don't see why you should put your life on hold to suit him having dinner with his mummy. Zero sympathy for him.

Rainbowqueeen Sat 08-Apr-17 23:24:33

The chances that he will not bother are fairly high I'm sorry to say.

But your kids need and deserve their dad to be consistent. They are better off with stability and if he won't give that, they are better off without him.

Please go to CSA for maintenance. Your kids deserve a dad who will pay for them if nothing else

CouldntMakeThisShitUp Sun 09-Apr-17 01:18:35

so he has chosen to have contact with them only 24 hours a fortnight ?!!??!!!!
...and he still can't be arsed turning up on time? shock

if that was my ex i'd be telling him to go via court for contact as i no longer trusted him to put the kids first, i was sick of seeing the kids be messed around and i was was fed up of making excuses for him in front of the kids.

i wouldn't be wasting any more energy on accommodating access for him after this. Let him go via court if he IS actually serious about his kids!

Mombie2016 Sun 09-Apr-17 02:35:23

gamer Same here with ExH. Moan moan moan but refused mediation and is too tight/lazy to go to court and he doesn't want anything to do with DS but this way he gets to play the victim hmm

Dickheads.

OP. Tell him to fuck right off. He's not showing any commitment to them is he, really? 24 hours a fortnight and can't be arsed to be on time. Fuck that noise.

Atenco Sun 09-Apr-17 03:15:24

My dgd's df is getting like this. Grrr. Poor wee mite wants to see her dad but dad takes the piss massively.

SandyY2K Sun 09-Apr-17 05:28:53

Regardless of you telling him not to bother, if he is a half decent father, he would at a bare minimum text you and apologise, saying to please give him another chance and he will not be late to pick them up on what would have been his next scheduled visit.

If he can't even be bothered to do that, then don't regret or be stressed about what you said. You were annoyed and frustrated with was totally understandable.

BrokenRainbow Sun 09-Apr-17 07:35:50

I was expecting a text with an apology * Sandy but nothing.

Woke up to a text asking if he can take them today, no apology nor acknowledgment that I cancel plans I had yesterday.

I've planned things with them tomorrow so no he can't just take them.

Shall I mention the apology?

Sickofthisalready Sun 09-Apr-17 07:53:02

Im also dealing with a loser ex, who continually lets our 3 year old down, for nights out with the OW.

Ive given him numerous chances to stick to the arrangement, but DS just isn't important enough to him. I think he has been doing it on purpose knowing that in the end id tell him he couldn't see him anymore, and then he could swan off to his new life and tell everyone that he'd love a relationship with his son but I won't let him.

Well Ive had enough now and stopped all contact. Does anyone have any advice as to how to tell my beautiful little boy that the dad that he absolutely adores won't be seeing him anymore?

I just dont know how he sleeps at night. My poor poor boysad

SaorAlbaGuBrath Sun 09-Apr-17 08:02:02

DS1s father let him down continually, never on time, sometimes a no show and after he was violent to me in front of DS1 I stopped all contact. Unfortunately a court sided with him and I am compelled to send DS1 once a fortnight (he dropped weekly as it was too much like hard work hmm) and my stipulation is that he has 15 minutes either side of the agreed time or it's not happening. Funnily enough he's managed hmm

Molly333 Sun 09-Apr-17 08:53:02

It's so sad that they don't get it . My ex was the same and I tried and tried until I could do no more. He now hasn't bothered for 5 years yet lives five mins away ! We are okay though . We had family therapy which helped us become strong in our own little family and actually we've done so much without him it's amazing. Plan something u would never do for the kids to look forward to e.g. a holiday. He is losing big time and u can do this alone without resentment and anger of him not putting the kids first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now