Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I'm listening Grrrrr!

(5 Posts)
user1488397138 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:16:54

Another disagreement with DH over the same thing.
He was eating lunch and I offered to read out bits of an article to him,
Half way through I looked up and he's reading his phone.
I ask why when I'm reading something out is he clearly not listening. He replied he was watching a video but still listening! He also sends/answers texts and reads articles on line when we're chatting or if I tell/ask him something.
This drives me absolutely mad. I think it's disrespectful to show so clearly that he isn't actually invested in what I have to say.
It's so rude and he needs told every time. Anyone else got this?
And for what's it's worth when I've tried to test him on what I've said he usually knows!

LesisMiserable Thu 06-Apr-17 19:48:32

Its habit isnt picking up the phone. I think I would just spam him to death whilst I was trying to talk to him by phoning and messaging him until he gets the point.

Naicehamshop Thu 06-Apr-17 20:02:59

It's really rude. I would be furious! angry

TheNaze73 Thu 06-Apr-17 22:06:33

Did he ask you to read the article out?

AndTheBandPlayedOn Thu 06-Apr-17 22:30:11

A bit from the other side user...7138, sorry.
My sister would read out loud what she was reading while others were already reading their own stuff. She'd expect everyone to stop their stuff and pay attention to her. But then she had manipulation/controlling tendencies and this was part of her Queen Holding Court dynamic.
I enjoy a good article as much as anyone so had to repeatedly ask her to let me know which article to read and I'd read it myself (she couldn't quite credit anyone else with having the ability to read or not read as well as her as she had an advanced degree in reading education ).

I'm not suggesting that anything from my sister is going on with you. But if you could verify with your dh that he is ok with you reading to him before you start, that might save you the frustration if his answer is 'no'. He simply might not like being read to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now