Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Any family lawyers? Friend has reported DV and is freaking out.

(8 Posts)
WeiAnMeokEo Tue 04-Apr-17 19:41:36

Hi all,

Am trying to find info on this online but can't seem to get reliable results.

A friend left her abusive (physical, mental and financial) husband. She wanted to make an anonymous report to the police for Clare's law but has been told that's not possible. Police are now coming to take a statement and will definitely either cautonight, arrest or just speak to him.

She is petrified of retribution from him, and also scared that he now won't cooperate when she files for divorce on grounds of unreasonable behaviour - she says she can't bear the thought of being married to him long enough to do the divorce-by separation thing.

Any advice muhammad appreciated, especially what kind of protections she could hope to get from police...

WeiAnMeokEo Tue 04-Apr-17 19:42:20

*Much, not muhammad! !

Offred Tue 04-Apr-17 21:13:32

Not a lawyer but have a law degree and have just been through the beginning stage of reporting.

She needs to try and make sure a specialist DV officer is involved if she can.

Rights of woman have a lot of guidance on specific types of dv and the law and the reporting process under the 'get information' tab which I have found very useful.

Also she really needs to find a local DV support service - I have weekly individual counselling and a weekly support group.

If she has children a report will be made to SS by the police and they will call her soon after receiving the report and they will have the case passed to the MASH team most likely for support and to make sure she is leaving him.

She should get legal aid for divorce if DV is reported.

She should also get dv protection for criminal/family court to support her ability to give evidence.

She may get support to give the statement in the guise of making a video statement rather than a written one.

He will almost certainly be bailed even if he is arrested for a serious offence but the police will also refer to NCDV for a civil law non molestation order.

Offred Tue 04-Apr-17 21:16:49

(And it is normal to freak out BTW)

weatherbomb Tue 04-Apr-17 21:29:04

The police should be able to reassure her through this terrible process. It's very scary for her, but she's done the right thing. The police may refer her to the local DV service where she'll be allocated a caseworker and have access to support groups and counselling as mentioned above by Offred.
Perfectly normal to freak out. It's a very scary time and its hard to know which way is up. Well done to her for reporting it - it's the first step. For your friendflowers

weatherbomb Tue 04-Apr-17 21:29:30

Also worth contacting Women's Aid

WeiAnMeokEo Tue 04-Apr-17 21:35:16

Thanks all - really helpful. Just to clarify, no judgement/drama intended by the phrase 'freaking out', just empathy!

Offred Wed 05-Apr-17 12:38:52

Oh god, I didn't mean you were judging.

I kinda meant that it is possible that she will freak out and still reporting.

IME although I have had panic attacks re speaking to the police 90% of my anxiety has reduced because of reporting and because of the support I have had from the police.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: