Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Clares law

(16 Posts)
Littlefrogletx Mon 03-Apr-17 21:51:06

What information is available under clares law.
My ex was emotionally, verbally and financial abusive.
Pretty much everything other than physically hit me.
He posted personal pics of me online also.
This was all reported to police. He was visited by police after we split up, they visited when we were together.
He was reported for being in my garden and following me and sending a friend to follow me, calling my parents and neighbours.
He ended up with a harassment order.
SS were notified of the situation.
Would this information be available or would it only be things he was charged for.

Littlefrogletx Mon 03-Apr-17 23:35:32


Positiveoptimist Tue 04-Apr-17 07:12:35

I don't know but I'm bumping your thread for you.

Try posting this in legal x

Dontwaketheneighbours Tue 04-Apr-17 09:01:48

Hi littlefrog, police will disclose previous convictions or behaviour which they feel puts someone at risk. The harassment order may well be disclosed but they don't go into detail so the other behaviours would likely not be. If he has no convictions he's unlikely to fall under the 'right to know' category, which is where police or other agencies decide that any new partner of his should be made aware of his behaviour. However anyone can request information on anyone under the 'right to ask'.

Do you know why he wasn't charged with any offences for the behaviour you've outlined above?

Littlefrogletx Tue 04-Apr-17 11:16:21

Because the police were shit basically.
Didn't care as he hadn't hit me.
I was told that all the other stuff wasn't a crime basically

Dontwaketheneighbours Tue 04-Apr-17 11:37:56

Sorry you had such a negative experience littlefroglet. Hope you're free of him now. flowers

Littlefrogletx Tue 04-Apr-17 12:03:46

Yes I am thank you x
Almost a year on since I kicked him out he's tried every trick in the book, reporting me to social services and fannying about with child support.
I have nightmares about him, he is still a total idiot.

But i am as free as I can be really, we have no contact, even though we have 2 dc, he was unable to communicate without abusing me.
I do feel let down by the police but what's done is done.
I just hope that no other woman has to deal with his nastiness ever again but I doubt it.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 04-Apr-17 12:09:09

Well the law changed recently to show EA and other abuse as a criminal offence.
Not sure how recent that was so you may have missed out on the update to the law.
It is now a criminal offence to commit any kind of domestic abuse.
Not just physical.

Well done on getting away and sorry he was, and still is, such a wanker.

Littlefrogletx Tue 04-Apr-17 12:52:38

It was within the last 12 months I reported to police etc
They simply didn't give a shit.

Shoxfordian Tue 04-Apr-17 12:57:38

What are you trying to get under Clares Law ?
The police would generally make a disclosure to a new partner of your ex in this scenario; not to you

hellsbellsmelons Tue 04-Apr-17 13:53:28

Gosh that's crap.
They are supposed to be taking it all seriously.
Could you, or do you feel inclined, to take this to your local MP?

Littlefrogletx Tue 04-Apr-17 15:53:43

Shox I was wondering what would come up to a new partner of his.

Hellsbells it just continued the feeling that I was useless, no one did care etc.
But its done now.
He has to live with the fact he is a bitter nasty little man.
Dc are starting to see through it all now too.
From his continued behaviour I must add, nothing to do with me.

user1479305498 Tue 04-Apr-17 16:14:27

I am interested in this just to improve my general knowledge. If you meet someone and were planning on being in an involved relationship-- can younow request information on any other known information with the police that may put "you" at risk or is it to do with children?

Dontwaketheneighbours Tue 04-Apr-17 16:39:05

You can request information about anyone, User, if you're starting a relationship and want to check someone's history - for dv it's Clare's law and for risk to children it's Sarah's law.

Shoxfordian Tue 04-Apr-17 17:04:59

Ah ok

As you reported it all to the police; I imagine they would disclose it if relevant

user1479305498 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:06:41

Thanks for that-- very useful to know as there seems to be a lot of total "fu**wits" out there

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: