Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Am I being too sensitive??

(4 Posts)
midnightswirls Sun 02-Apr-17 20:32:28

I've been with my current boyfriend 4 months now and things have been great no issues. On the way back from his godsons birthday party earlier we were just chatting. He said that being in a relationship has stresses just like being single. I said to him I had no stresses being in a relationship with him so I don't get where he's coming from. He's never had a serious relationship before so this is all new to him. However I said so what do you mean? Do you have stresses with us. He said things about a lot of compromises but he said he couldn't give me a specific example. I just went a bit quiet as I didn't know what to say. When we got home he asked what was up so I said again do you have stresses? He then decided to "crack a joke" and say something about my chins. I said that's really inappropriate and personal and not funny. Especially when it's awkward between us right now. I said never in a million years would I say something like that to you even if I thought it was a joke. He did apologise and is now being extra nice but still. In my past I had been with an emotionally and mentally abusive ex (my LB dad). Which he knows all about. But am I being over sensitive because of my past or do you think it's normal to feel upset/annoyed. Sorry for the long post!

scoobydoo1971 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:41:49

You haven't been with your boyfriend very long so you don't know the real him, he has been on best behaviour (or should have been). The 'honeymoon' period should still be going strong. If he is being critical, even as a 'joke', or hinting that the relationship causes stress to him then proceed with caution. He could just be tactless and voicing is anxiety, and it could resolve...but it might be the top of a slippery slope where you start to understand who he really is, and that person might not be the boyfriend for you.

JK1773 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:47:39

You really haven't been together very long. I would be very cautious about this behaviour, it's not great

midnightswirls Sun 02-Apr-17 22:34:19

Thanks for you points of view. It's tough because nothing has upset me before and he's always been very loving and kind. It always seems when we have a disagreement he gets awkward and says something awkward. Nothing like what he said earlier though. He said he worries and stresses about a lot of things in his day to day life. He has mentioned he does get anxious sometimes. I don't know it's a tough one as like you said you don't know the true person in 4 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now