Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do I deal with this the best way

(5 Posts)
OhBloodygreat Sun 02-Apr-17 13:31:32

My partner of 5 years has said he doesn't know weather he wants to be with me anymore.

This has happened a lot during our relationship we'd argue over trivial things, he'd give me the silent treatment and then it would be like not knowing what's going on or if he's leaving all over again. When these do happen I find myself him to try again and not to leave. I've had enough of doing it now.

I feel sad because I don't want to be a single mum but I also want to know the best way to deal with it, I'm not asking him to stay again. What should I do? I suppose I just need some words of wisdom really.

BusyHomemaker Sun 02-Apr-17 13:42:48

That sound really stressful for you. Are you able to sit down with him and talk about it? It's not fair of him to keep threatening to leave but never follow through... that's incredibly disrespectful and quite nasty behaviour. In your position I'd try to get to the bottom of why he's saying it and discuss how you both want your relationship to progress or not, as the case may be.

If he's not willing to discuss it with you then maybe you should call his bluff and pack him a bag!

TheNaze73 Sun 02-Apr-17 13:59:49

For him to say it, he must have thought it. I'd have zero tolerance with game players.

OhBloodygreat Sun 02-Apr-17 14:37:30

He's saying it because I'm always in the wrong apparently and I'm such hard work hmm

Thing is even though I would like us to be together and get a long I can't help thinking do I really want to be with someone who is constantly doing this and would even consider leaving me?

ravenmum Sun 02-Apr-17 15:11:27

To be honest it doesn't sound like you need much advice. The face after "I'm such hard work" shows that you know you're not the one who's hard work. You say you've had enough of asking him to stay together, and are not going to do it any more. Sounds like a decision to me.

From my own experience, if you can, try not to make it about who is in the right or wrong. It is possible for two perfectly average people to just not get on together; it doesn't require one person to be particularly nasty or horrible. I see that your partner doesn't realise that, and is trying to make you the baddy, but really, neither of you has to be the baddy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now