Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Opinions please - is it 'improper' to have the phone numbers of your 17 year old sons 4 best friends on your phone?

(124 Posts)
thegirlfromthehill Sat 01-Apr-17 14:12:16

Hello smile
I'd love to get some feedback on this one please. My partner is going mad because I have the mobile numbers of my 17 year old son's four best friends on my phone. I have explained that they are there for emergencies only - but he says that this is 'improper, undignified' and that I am 'humiliating him' by having these numbers.He won't even countenance me keeping them in a diary somewhere - not that I have conceded to taking them off my phone at all, because I believe that I am, in fact, being a responsible parent by having them in the first place.

But what do you all think? I am behaving improperly, or responsibly, by doing this?

My partner and I have been together for 3 years - he has no children whereas I have two super teenage sons, who have done nothing but support my relationship with my partner.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts )

Squeegle Sat 01-Apr-17 14:16:17

He sounds a bit unhinged to be honest, of course it's perfectly ok.

Squeegle Sat 01-Apr-17 14:16:50

Is he completely normal otherwise?

Crispsheets Sat 01-Apr-17 14:17:49

He sounds deranged

sucue Sat 01-Apr-17 14:17:57

Sounds sensible to me. Why would it be improper? Does your partner think you might "accidentally" sext on of them?

Cocolepew Sat 01-Apr-17 14:18:06

Of course its ok.

BlueNeighbourhood1 Sat 01-Apr-17 14:18:13

I don't have children, however I don't think it's unreasonable at all?

My brother is 24 and my Mum still has his best friends number in her phone for emergencies. It's practical rather than anything else.

What does your husband actually think you're going to do with these numbers??

Gamtanner Sat 01-Apr-17 14:18:30

He's being bonkers. It's a completely normal thing you're doing. I presume you never use the numbers? It's literally just in case something awful happens (God forbid).

Floggingmolly Sat 01-Apr-17 14:19:34

What sort of contact does he imagine you'll have with these kids? confused

EllaHen Sat 01-Apr-17 14:19:35

Totally sensible to have your children's friends contact details.

Utterly unreasonable of your partner to make such dickhead comments about dignity and impropriety.

Please don't give in to his demands.

pringlecat Sat 01-Apr-17 14:19:37

Have you ever actually used them?

YANBU if and only if, you would genuinely only use those numbers in a real emergency. You hope there will never be one, but it's always good to have a plan for the worst.

If you're texting your DS's mates to say "DS is 5 minutes late, do you know where he is?" then of course YABU.

christmaswreaths Sat 01-Apr-17 14:19:41

He's been weird. Is he jealous of 17 year old boys??

WatchingFromTheWings Sat 01-Apr-17 14:21:12

He sounds jealous! Nothing wrong with having your sons friends numbers.

exexpat Sat 01-Apr-17 14:22:17

Not only are you not being unreasonable for having whatever numbers you want/think you might need on your phone, but how and why does he even know what numbers are on your phone? Let alone care?

I have to agree with previous poster that he sounds deranged - "humiliating" for him? Wtf?

ScarlettFreestone Sat 01-Apr-17 14:23:11

Erm what weird about that? I'm in my 40s and my Mum
and Dad have several of our friend's numbers in their mobile phones for one reason or another.

I'd be extremely concerned about your partner's thought process here - he's jealous of these boys. shock

He thinks of them as competitors while you think of them as children.

That's not healthy.

I think that would entirely change the way I looked at that person.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 01-Apr-17 14:24:33

That's batshit.

goodpiemissedthechips Sat 01-Apr-17 14:25:59

He's being ridiculous.

My son is still too young to have his own phone so I have his friends' parents' numbers in my phone, but I assume once they all start getting their own phones I'll have a few of their numbers stored away.

Not because I have any intention of calling them of course, just in case someday I can't get in touch with DS and his phone is switched off and it starts getting late or something and I start to worry. It would be logical in that kind of scenario to call his friends rather than his 17yo friends' parents, surely?

I don't understand the 'undignified' bit. He doesn't know much about the realities of motherhood if he thinks THAT'S undignified! grin

kittybiscuits Sat 01-Apr-17 14:26:11

I could only assume your partner has an inappropriate interest in 17 year olds and is projecting insanely.

apotheke Sat 01-Apr-17 14:27:14

It shouldn't even need stated that there is nothing the slightest bit inappropriate or unusual about you having the numbers of your DCs friends. The way he has described it makes him seem unhinged and dangerously possessive and controlling. Hope you are ok.

carabos Sat 01-Apr-17 14:27:36

I wish I'd had the numbers of DS2's best friends when he went missing one night having had too much to drink / been spiked and nobody knew if he was safe for 4 hours. If I'd had those numbers I might have found him sooner and saved myself, DS1 and DH (who was abroad at the time and beside himself) the worst night of our lives. But that's just me.

Your DH is a tit. One day you're going to need those numbers, for good or ill.

NorfolksGiven Sat 01-Apr-17 14:28:08

Lol at accidentally sexting

TheMysteriousJackelope Sat 01-Apr-17 14:31:35

It sounds sensible to me, especially for older teens who are likely to be doing things like going away for an activity weekend or going out late in the evening. If your DS's phone dies you have the other numbers if you need to reach him in an emergency.

Your partner has a very strange view of it all. Does he think you're some kind of hebephile? Yuck and ugh.

exexpat Sat 01-Apr-17 14:32:10

Just wondering - are you allowed to have the phone numbers of any adult males in your phone?

GahBuggerit Sat 01-Apr-17 14:32:19

Red flag op

ShootFruit Sat 01-Apr-17 14:33:22

Yep, he's odd!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: