Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Advice about new friendship please

(9 Posts)
user1490976533 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:21:03

I've recently got to know a man who runs a club that I go to each week. I needed to talk to him about something one week and he suggested we meet for a cup of tea one afternoon to talk about it some more. We did this and then have carried on meeting every couple of weeks at the same place sometimes he suggests this and other times I do. The conversation is very general and there has never been anything physical.

I'm not sure what's going on here. I should say that I'm married (unhappily) and my husband does know this man too but we've never talked about meeting up the three of us. I'm not certain whether this is a simple friendship or the start of something more but I would never be unfaithful to my husband.

Shoxfordian Fri 31-Mar-17 17:28:59

Does the man have a partner too? Maybe you can all go out. I don't think there's any harm in an occasional coffee though

troodiedoo Fri 31-Mar-17 17:34:27

The fact that you say you would never be unfaithful suggests that you have probably thought about it. So intent is there. You are in an unhappy marriage. Potentially a perfect storm.

I'm not judging you. But it's easy to think you're in control of a situation and then cross a line without realising it.

user1490976533 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:34:51

He's single.

user1490976533 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:37:06

I said I wouldn't be unfaithful but my husband and I are seriously thinking about divorcing at the moment. I've never discussed this with the other man.

troodiedoo Fri 31-Mar-17 17:39:11

Just be careful is all I'm saying flowers

Even an amicable divorce is painful.

user1490976533 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:42:22

Thank you Troodie. Does this sound like a simple friendship to you?

troodiedoo Fri 31-Mar-17 17:46:14

At present yes it sounds like a straightforward friendship. But as I say, there is a potential for complications.

user1490976533 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:48:14

I'll be careful then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now