Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would you date a man in the navy?

(27 Posts)
user1490538976 Fri 31-Mar-17 16:33:32

With the reputation sailor men have?

LostSight Fri 31-Mar-17 16:37:54

I'd consider any man who seemed decent. Each on his own merits. I would try to consider the potential impact of a life with someone who was away for long periods, but I wouldn't prejudge his character.

JellyBean31 Fri 31-Mar-17 16:40:53

I dated a man who used to be in the navy, he said his whole service was basically being paid to get pissed!!! but.... he didn't travel much so if the reputation your thinking of is "girl in every port" I don't think it's the same now as it used to be.

ladyratterley Fri 31-Mar-17 16:43:56

Two of my friends are married to Navy or now ex Navy men and they are the nicest, most trustworthy guys. You can't tar them all with the same brush.
(They're also very neat and clean. Apparently because they have to be like this when living in confined space on ships & submarines haha!)

GotToGetMyFingerOut Fri 31-Mar-17 16:47:02

I wouldn't not date him because of the reputation they have, I don't believe in stereotyping large groups of people and prefer to judge them as individuals. However, I wouldn't date someone in the navy because the time they go away for.

MissCherryCakeyBun Fri 31-Mar-17 16:47:06

I had a long term relationship with a Stuntman ( total arse who Had an affair while I was pregnant ) and married an Antisocial Behaviour officer who used to beat the crap out of me and I had to get court orders to keep me safe from......I'm now in a long relationship with a former Soldier who is a total gentleman has never raised his voice to me let alone his hand. He would rather cut it off than sleep with another woman.
So does what someone do for a living make them a better person? I don't think so if a mans a slut or a bully it doesn't matter what he does....

If he is a good man he is a good man smile

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 31-Mar-17 16:58:17

Sailor men 👀😂😂

Sorry what reputation are you talking about?

ChemistryGeek Fri 31-Mar-17 17:22:18

I used to be in the RN. Yes, some (lots) of the blokes were awful - the stories I could tell about mass removal of wedding rings just before port visits etc etc. BUT ime it's no more widespread than the blokes I work with now who travel with business. Many cheat on a regular basis but it's nothing to do with their chosen career.

Shoxfordian Fri 31-Mar-17 17:30:01

Seamen spreading their semen about?! (Sorry couldn't help it)

228agreenend Fri 31-Mar-17 17:31:54

I love a man in uniform, so defiantly, YES!

SheepyFun Fri 31-Mar-17 17:34:45

I worked on board a boat with all British officers/crew - they were at sea for 8 months a year (not sure how that compares with the Navy). Of the 15 of them, only one was still married to his first wife. A couple had chosen not to pursue long term relationships as they felt it didn't work. The rest had a string of failed marriages behind them. However, you could have met the one who is faithful!

Ex-services, when your partner isn't deployed for long stints are a totally different question.

mpsw Fri 31-Mar-17 17:39:04

Probably means run, sodomy and the lash.

If OP is remotely serious about a budding relationship, then there is the relevant (military other halves) topic, where s/he will find support/advice about specifically naval/military aspects.

And my answer to title in question is no, as I'm OK with DH (Army).

Spam88 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:57:33

Very happily married to a sailor and absolutely no concerns that sleeping with anyone else anywhere else hmm

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 31-Mar-17 17:59:25

I'm about to marry a sailor. I know all about his history including escapades abroad.

What do you want to know?

ilovemykitchenaid Fri 31-Mar-17 18:43:11

I have been with someone who is still in the Navy for 30 years and married for 27. They are the best.

Trills Fri 31-Mar-17 18:49:33

I wouldn't reject someone on the basis of that reputation alone.

Dating anyone in the forces comes with extra hassle that I'm not sure I'd be up for.

purplecoathanger Fri 31-Mar-17 18:50:27

My dad was in the Navy. He was an amazing husband to my mum and a brilliant dad.

offside Fri 31-Mar-17 19:36:41

I personally wouldn't. A few of my male friends are in the navy/have been in the navy and all of whom have cheated on their partners during deployment.

On the other hand, one of my best friends was in the navy and she is now engaged to someone who is still in the navy. She is often being accused of cheating when he is on deployment and I see this as him deflecting. She believes it's because he sees so much cheating happening that he must think that she is too. She readily admits that it was profound when she was in the navy.

I also see how lonely she is, she maybe sees him in total around 5 weeks out of the year made up by the odd day/couole of days here and there. And this is another aspect I couldn't cope with.

MGFM Fri 31-Mar-17 19:51:00

I am Navy and so is my husband. Yes plenty of men and women in the Navy cheat. But I also know plenty that don't. Having met plenty of each type I think I am fairly good at spotting a cheater these days.

Ilovewillow Fri 31-Mar-17 20:13:26

I think it's merely a rumour! I can understand that it might be more prevalent for either sex when an enforced period of time is involved but I really would judge the person in front if you rather than the perceived traits of their profession! My dad was in the navy when he met my mum, he is one of the kindest men you could meet and they have been together for 46 years!

Porpoiselife Fri 31-Mar-17 20:16:40

Hell yeah! Have you seen that uniform?

Crumbs1 Fri 31-Mar-17 20:18:34

I know a number of naval officers, young and old. The older ones have all remained happily married for many years. Our neighbours are approaching their Golden Wedding. A serving friend has had his Silver. I think the Forces attract a certain 'slightly old fashioned ' sort who,believe in loyalty and this impacts on relationships. I suspect it's less often the serving partner that calls time on a relationship but the person at home getting lonely sometimes. Incidentally, less than a third of the navy goes to sea.

user1490538976 Fri 31-Mar-17 20:31:05

Well the reason I ask is because my cousin was married to a man in the navy for 4 years and found out for 2 of those years he had a girlfriend in Portsmouth and she was pregnant.
Also my friends brother was in the navy and would cheat on gf (also in navy ) everytime he came home and she was in her hometown.
I'm talking to a guy on tinder ..who's in the navy and I'm thinking do I even bother now.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 31-Mar-17 21:01:10

It's Tinder. He's probably just after a shag. If you're looking for a common relationship, I would not be starting there.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 31-Mar-17 21:01:35

*committed not common!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now