Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Film recommendations for girls night in with friend

(23 Posts)
Mcakes Thu 23-Mar-17 19:31:27

I have a friend coming to stay tomorrow who is having a bit of a crap time with her (lovely but clueless) DH at the mo. I am not normally into the girly 'pampering' thing but am planning the whole facemask/footsoak/nailpainting cliches, lots of fun stuff to drink and long lie in/quiet time in the morning as it sounds like that's what she needs right now!

Will be v grateful for any good film recommendations for later in the eve? Something uplifting but not too Bridget Jones ditsy/schmalzy?

Cheers in advance!

Watto1 Thu 23-Mar-17 19:33:32

My all time favourite film is The Commitments. Funny but not silly and the only film i can watch time and time again and still laugh at it!

Sylvannas Thu 23-Mar-17 19:55:31

Drop dead Fred- not a chick flick but hilarious and very sweet at the end.

ijustwannadance Thu 23-Mar-17 19:56:51

This means war. Rom com with Tom Hardy and Chris Pine.

jeaux90 Thu 23-Mar-17 20:00:50

The birdcage. Robin Williams, gene hackman lovely, fun and light hearted. Set in a drag club (you sound like a lovely friend) x

Cricrichan Thu 23-Mar-17 20:11:35

Have you watched Bridget Jones's baby? It is absolutely hilarious - i watched it on a plane and was laughing so much that the lady in front wanted to know what i was watching so she could watch it too.

Commitments brilliant too. All of Me is hilarious as is Some like it Hot.

Lucked Thu 23-Mar-17 20:15:47

We enjoyed Trainwreck romcom with Amy Schuler

Angrybird123 Thu 23-Mar-17 20:19:00

Tamara Drew or Crazy Stupid Love

Oysterbabe Thu 23-Mar-17 20:21:57

Bridesmaids. Made me laugh anyway smile

LemonScentedStickyBat Thu 23-Mar-17 20:25:44

Sisters (if you like things like Bridesmaids). The new Ghostbusters?

bungleZippy12 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:44:16

Another vote for crazy stupid love.

Hellmouth Thu 23-Mar-17 22:46:59

Mean Girls
Bridesmaids
Role Models
The Devil Wears Pravda
Private Benjamin (an oldie but a goodie!)

Hellmouth Thu 23-Mar-17 22:47:20

*Prada not Pravda! 😂

ItchyFoot Thu 23-Mar-17 22:48:09

Sisters is brilliant

Hillfarmer Thu 23-Mar-17 22:48:17

Do you like The Proclaimers? Sunshine On Leith is the most feelgood film that I've seen in years. It's daft and touching and funny and has brilliant songs seamlessly (well, mainly)!stitched into the narrative. Loved it. Utterly charming.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 23-Mar-17 22:50:16

Florence Foster Jenkins was amusing and light. Hugh Grant is very good in it (and, refreshingly for Hollywood, looking his age).

80sbabyz Thu 23-Mar-17 22:59:48

Eurotrip for a good laugh
Clueless
Princess Diaries
Mean girls
Don't tell mum the babysitters dead

pocketsaviour Thu 23-Mar-17 23:21:20

Do you know what your friend's favourite films are? I have to say I would hate most of the suggestions here, but if I was having a hard time and going to a friend's, and they asked me "What's your favourite film or TV show to watch for mindless comfort" and then laid on the film or box set, I would totally love them for it.

It might even be that she might want something fluffy to be on in the background that gives her space to talk at the same time. Something like Come Dine with Me or Grand Designs. Or she might want to really immerse herself in a gripping film of whatever her favourite genre is. (For me that would be something science fiction/fantasy, so I'd pick something from LotR, Prometheus, Avatar, maybe one of the X Men or Avenger films.)

If she has a filthy sense of humour then I'd recommend Bad Grandpa (NOT Dirty Grandpa, its not the same film!)

pocketsaviour Thu 23-Mar-17 23:23:16

Also meant to say, a great one for "I'm watching TV and feeling good about myself because it's educational" is literally any David Attenborough narrated programme - and also great for watching in company where you can say "OMG I did not know that about meercats!"

Percypig5 Thu 23-Mar-17 23:33:06

Highly recommend Wild with Reese Witherspoon. Not a girly film as such but very uplifting and inspiring and based on real life experiences of Cheryl Strayed. Great story and message. I loved it.

Justanothergame Thu 23-Mar-17 23:41:25

Begin Again - Mark Ruffulo is gorgeous in it, there's some nice music and it's deffo feel good but quite fun too.

Shayelle Fri 24-Mar-17 06:37:38

Wedding Belles... Irvine Welsh wink

Mcakes Mon 27-Mar-17 16:36:36

Sorry for abandoning the thread!
Thanks loads for all the ideas. Definitely some to bookmark there.
I especially liked pocketsaviour's advice - I would be chuffed if in the same situation and my friend asked me what I wanted rather than second guessing.
In the end we got very drunk on tequila, watched a mixed stand up show (her choice) and laughed a lot.
Cheers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now