Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Date advise

(14 Posts)
anonymous1982 Wed 22-Mar-17 03:50:26

Hi

I am from overseas and I like this English girl. She is very nice but I get very nervous and perhaps I am nervous whenever I chat to any English girls and not sure why this is.

We have been on two dates (cinema and a meal). I paid for the meal and manage to survive the conversation. We spoke about her interest in cats (I don't have anymore questions on cats as I have already asked all about cats), we spoke about her travels (I haven't traveled much so don't have any more questions about travel) and she has problem with manager at work, how her builder keeps letting her down and how she wants to be a Therapist in future.
I really do not have a lot to say about myself either as I am fairly simple guy who go to work and gym when I can.

I really do not have a lot more to say to this girl on our next date this Friday. I think we are going for drinks. I am not sure what I can chat about really to move things to the next level so any advise you can give is much appreciated.

Thanks

UnmentionedElephantDildo Wed 22-Mar-17 07:50:40

If she's still a girl, then drinks are probably not the best option because she'll be under the legal age. Also, if conversation makes you feel nervous, then doing an activity will make things easier for you.

Have her parents set a curfew? Though as it's Friday (not a school night) it'll probably be a bit later.

Film? Going bowling? Is there an ice rink near you? Drop in sports classes?

Hissy Wed 22-Mar-17 07:52:43

grin

hellsbellsmelons Wed 22-Mar-17 07:55:55

Well she's at work so stop with that Unmentioned
I call myself a girl.
I get together with the 'girls'
We plan 'girlie' nights out!
And I am heading towards 50 fast.

Does she go to the gym?
What else do you do?
What is your job?
How are you colleagues?
Talk about where you live.
What there is to do there.
What TV shows you like.
What films you like.
What sort of food you like.
Do you drink?
Would a couple of drinks help you relax a bit?
If you have absolutely nothing in common then this won't go anywhere.

Ethelswith Wed 22-Mar-17 07:59:51

I worked in a shop from 15 - of course girls can have a manager!

In print, to a global audience, using normal terms really does help.

A girl is a femal child.

The advice about a date not focussing on conversation is good.

anonymous1982 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:41:36

Hi thanks for the advise. She is 35.

EBearhug Wed 22-Mar-17 08:57:09

we spoke about her travels (I haven't traveled much so don't have any more questions about travel)

You don't need to have travelled much.
Where would you like to go? Why?
What differences in attitudes to travel do you see between the UK and where you're from?
Where would you go if money were no object?
If you could travel, would you want to go to cities, beaches, mountains, countryside?
Do you want adventure or luxury, wild camping or hotel, activities or culture or relaxing by a pool?
Do you like to try different foods?
Do you like flying, ships, railways, driving?
What climates do you prefer?
Do you like architecture, art galleries, museums?
Do you want clubs and partying or quiet relaxation?

There are loads of things you could ask without having done much actual travelling.

highinthesky Wed 22-Mar-17 09:00:23

What is it you like about this girl?

I can see that you are making an effort, but if you are running out of things to talk about perhaps there's not a lot to base a relationship on. It's hardly a meeting of minds, is it?

Gallavich Wed 22-Mar-17 09:07:45

Get some hobbies, then you will have more to talk about?

Gallavich Wed 22-Mar-17 09:08:38

And regardless of whether the 50 year old woman above calls herself a girl, your dating partner is an adult woman. Please don't refer to her as a girl, unless she expressly tells you to I suppose

Dieu Wed 22-Mar-17 09:32:50

She must like you, otherwise she wouldn't have agreed to Date 2! So I think you can relax a little on that basis.
I think an activity date would be a good idea, so that you don't have to spend the whole time talking.

anonymous1982 Wed 22-Mar-17 09:46:07

Thanks - what sort of activity do you recommend? Cinema - We already been to one, should I arrange this again? or Bowling (I haven't played in a long time and don't think I am very good at this)?

anonymous1982 Fri 21-Apr-17 11:40:01

Hi just to let you know - we both moved to the next level and she seems to be loving it!

HotNatured Fri 21-Apr-17 13:36:08

Hi just to let you know - we both moved to the next level and she seems to be loving it!

hmm

You need a hobby OP grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now