Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

what my therapist said...

(57 Posts)
lilolenny Tue 21-Mar-17 13:11:52

Currently seeing a therapist who offers CBT style counselling. I have been going through a lot lately, both in career and family. I listed things that were bothering me and gave them to my therapist, many of which included needing more help with the running of the house and all of the thoughts I have about this.
My therapist said that I was making mountains out of mole hills, "do they really matter in the grand scheme of things?" This was a few weeks ago. It has really played on my mind since. These things are v important to me and bother me hugely. It shocks me that women can work so hard these days and men still deem domestic duties as a purely feminine role. My therapist told me that this is the same in most households and not to get too tied up about it.
What are everyone else's thoughts?

Ineedmorelemonpledge Tue 21-Mar-17 13:29:53

Change your therapist.

If it's important to you, it should be a focus. Little annoyances soon build up to big problems if you don't deal with them. I think anyhow.

JoJoSM2 Tue 21-Mar-17 13:34:09

What is it that bothers you exactly? What were the mountains out of molehills? If you are bothered by the division of domestic duties, can't you just sort it out with your husband?

JoJoSM2 Tue 21-Mar-17 13:38:55

Ineedmorelemonpledge, not necessarily. E.g. I'm very particular about how I like towels hung on the towel rail or the exact angles and position of cushions on the bed. I don't like DH to leave shower gel on shampoo on the bath so he puts it away every day. Very kindly, he gets the cushions and towels just right although finds it a right faff. If a therapist told me that I was making mountains out of molehills over these things, I think they would be 100% correct.

Offred Tue 21-Mar-17 13:39:57

The whole point of CBT IMO is to gloss over your issues by telling you you have to think differently about them... try a new therapist and maybe a different style and do something about your husband not sharing the domestic crap.

Ellisandra Tue 21-Mar-17 13:43:03

I think that 'most households' are irrelevant, ehether that's true or not.

I think it's a really bad sign about your fit with this therapist that you have stewed on this for weeks and not brought it back up with them.

I tend towards thinking it was wrong of your therapist to say these things are small, but... I wasn't in the conversation, and might not take the same view if it was in context of trying to prioritise the biggest issues.

Ellisandra Tue 21-Mar-17 13:44:58

What actually is the problem with your split of domestic duties?
And why can't you tell your husband that from now on you're making a fairer split?
I'd say therapy should be more about why you aren't able to sort it out, rather than opinion on how everyone else splits it.

Yoshimihere Tue 21-Mar-17 13:45:56

I think feeling like you pick up all the "women's work" is not insignificant and your feelings about it are valid.

I think what matters more though is that it sounds like you feel dismissed. You should be able to tell your therapist that and talk together. I've had a couple of occasions ify feeling unhappy about how therapy has gone. I've spoken to my therapist and those occasions have always helped us move forward and work better together.

It's ok to get challenged in therapy and learn how to think differently. But i think you need to feel heard and understood first. And you need to "get" each other.

Isadora2007 Tue 21-Mar-17 13:47:47

Maybe a talking style person centred counsellor would be better for you.
I'd be asking why those "little things" were important to you. In what ways do they seem big to you? Etc.

user1479305498 Tue 21-Mar-17 13:52:18

I think you do sound a little OCD to be honest with a bit of control freakery in there. I lived with someone like this once and this kind of thing is why he is an ex. It ended up that he couldnt "bear" pots ever or washing up being there for for more than 30 minutes and wanted to eat off paper plates and use disposable cutlery and glasses etc. This was my point to say "byyeee" . I think the therapist was correct but I maybe wouldnt have phrased it like that!!

QuarterMileAtATime Tue 21-Mar-17 15:01:54

Is it possible you are getting the OP mixed up with another poster's examples, User? If not, I must have missed a post from the OP...

Billybonkers76 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:07:15

The towels hung on the rails at exactly the right angle? That is a little thing in the grand scheme of things, I agree with your therapist. Plus, if you want the shampoo and shower gel put away after every shower I'd say to do it your self. It's not like he's left them open, spilling all over the shower tray.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 21-Mar-17 15:09:12

'Does this really matter' is part of CBT. It's supposed to help you stop catastrophising (sp?) over small issues. EG if you are the kind of person who can't let a mistake go at work and worries all weekend that you're going to be fired on Monday, 'does this really matter' may help you get the issue into proportion.

If your thoughts about home work have become obsessive or intrusive then perhaps that's a good technique for getting them under control. If in fact your H is a lazy barsteward and you are at the end of your rope with that then of course you should deal with that situation, and if you need your therapist's help with that then their views on gender equality are completely irrelevant.

Either way, you don't sound like a great fit together (you and therapist) so change - it's much more common than you think to 'shop around' till you find someone that suits you.

Billybonkers76 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:09:20

Doh! I can't read properly, I thought it was the OP who wrote that. Ignore ignore ignore!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 21-Mar-17 15:10:12

It's not OP who hangs the towels at exactly the right angles people!

StiginaGrump Tue 21-Mar-17 15:10:15

I think you have misread User?

Your therapist sounds shit tbh... but then a copy of wife work as a farewell gift

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 21-Mar-17 15:10:30

Xpost grin

FatOldBag Tue 21-Mar-17 15:12:19

You need a new therapist. Firstly your concerns are valid, you shouldn't have to swallow taking on an unfair share of tasks and the lack of appreciation that comes with. Secondly, they're a fucking therapist, do they really think you want to throw money away every week by going to them with problems only for them to tell you they aren't problems? Don't give the bugger any more of your time or money.

MsStricty Tue 21-Mar-17 15:21:25

The whole point of CBT IMO is to gloss over your issues by telling you you have to think differently about them... try a new therapist and maybe a different style and do something about your husband not sharing the domestic crap.

This. Offred has it.

I am totally, unapologetically biased when I say that, apart from a limited number of specific issues, CBT is bullshit. It does nothing, and peer-reviewed long-term studies have shown a near-100% relapse rate in symptomatology.

Get a new therapist, and a new form of therapy - one that probably won't offer short-term results, but will have a far profounder impact and effect.

FatLittleWombat Tue 21-Mar-17 15:29:31

I agree with Offred And MsStricty, CBT is a waste of time and money. It deals with the symptoms and not the actual problems. CBT usually takes less time than other types of therapy, and as always in life quick fixes don't really work. I'd get a person centred therapist, but be prepared to spend a lot of time and money if you really want to feel better. A decent non-CB therapist would never have dismissed your issues like that, they would have talked about them without judging (and saying that it's all nothing in the big scheme of things is a judgement).

HumpMeBogart Tue 21-Mar-17 15:31:58

As others have said, I think your therapist was trying to get you to view the situation with perspective (i.e. would this still bother you in a year if you thought about it?)

If you handed her a list, she's probably trying to work out which are the major problems that bother you every day / impact your life / need to be discussed as a priority, and which are more minor niggles.

If it's a big deal to you and you can't view it as something that just 'happens in a lot of households', you need to tell her how much of an issue it is for you.

If she still can't understand why it bothers you, then you need a new therapist.

I'm not a therapist but I've had decades of CBT (which has worked well for me). The most important thing is to trust her. If you can't trust that she understands why you're unhappy, it's not going to work.

Rimmerworld Tue 21-Mar-17 15:35:37

I think CBT is excellent, it has definitely worked for me.

Theworldisfullofidiots Tue 21-Mar-17 15:39:09

My caveat is I'm not that keen on cbt....

Your therapist appears from what you said to be judgemental and very directive. Therapists are meant to help you understand issues and causes and help you develop and work through strategies using a range of techniques.
How did you find this therapist?

JamieLannistersFuckButler Tue 21-Mar-17 15:53:30

Billybonkers

The towels on the rails was JoJoSM2 giving an example, NOT the OP's example.

user1479305498 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:58:38

apologies, I clearly didnt concentrate and was looking at the lady whose towels and cushions have to be at the right angles!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now