Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Long Distance Relationship Anxiety

(5 Posts)
LostQueen Sun 19-Mar-17 06:02:23

For various reasons (mostly work related), my lovely boyfriend and I have no choice but for our relationship to become Long Distance for approximately a year.

He's been in an LDR before so hes not anxious about it whereas I haven't been. I know that they can work and I've seen one first hand develop in the most beautiful way but I'm still anxious about it. Not because of trust or anything like that, it's just that I'll miss him so very much.

Just wondering if anybody is or has been in a similar situation? I know we have the modern technology to make contact easier in this respect but its just not the same sad

Walkacrossthesand Sun 19-Mar-17 07:36:34

How long have you been together, and are you planning a future together?
Even within LDRs there are a lot of variables - how great a distance, which determines how often you can meet up; how compatible your schedules will be (if you're only free in the evenings but it's during his working day, phone calls are tricky) etc.
The important thing is for contact (phone call, email, text, skype) to be frequent enough to be sustaining, while not taking up so much free time that everyday life (work, chores etc) doesn't get done.
It's doable though!

user128057 Sun 19-Mar-17 09:37:18

I can relate to this 100% OP as I'm in the exact same situation. Me and my OH live 4hrs apart. It can be incredibly hard at times but we do talk on the phone, video call and text most days which makes it easier. It also means when we see each other we don't argue and have more to talk about because we don't live in each other's pockets. Hope everything works out for you OP.

LostQueen Sun 19-Mar-17 10:03:43

Thanks for your replies. We've been together 6 months and are planning a future together. Unfortunately, we wont be 4 hours apart, it will be more like 14 hours! We're from two different countries but currently we are both living overseas from our homes. I'm contracted to be here for another year, his time here is coming to an end in the summer.
The nature of our lives overseas means that we've spent a lot of time together in the time that we've known each other. We've been on two getaways together with a third coming up this weekend and he flew home to the UK with me to meet my family over the Christmas plus my DD adores him. We've become so used to being a part of each others routines, it will be so strange being here without him.

noego Sun 19-Mar-17 10:06:36

I have two LDR's. I wouldn't get to anxious about it TBH. Relax into it, Communicate lots. See each other as often as possible. Good, strong relationships survive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now