Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Drinking while sole charge of DC

(65 Posts)
WayWithWords Wed 15-Mar-17 20:48:57

What would you think about someone who drunk 2 bottles of wine at night (and possibly some G&Ts too) while in sole charge of their 3-year-old DC?

Drinking once DC had gone to bed, but the only adult in the house that night. No adult there in the morning either, so responsible for getting up with DC in the morning and entertaining them for the day.

MsMarvel Wed 15-Mar-17 20:50:35

I would think that is far too much. But that's because I would be very very drunk on that amount of alcohol. But I'm guessing most people would be.

Launderetta Wed 15-Mar-17 20:51:28

Obviously it sounds excessive in the extreme, OP; has the person accepted they have alcohol problems?

Was it your child, or yourself?

Crispbutty Wed 15-Mar-17 20:51:56

I would think if a person drank that every night they had a serious alcohol problem. If it was a one off I would think it stupid and irresponsible to drink that much as that quantity of alcohol would render a person practically unconscious and unable to care for themselves never mind a young child.

theaveragewife Wed 15-Mar-17 20:52:08

Wayyyyy too much! And quite sad to be drinking alone like that too.

BackforGood Wed 15-Mar-17 20:52:54

In charge of dc or not, I would be very worried about a person drinking that quantity.

WayWithWords Wed 15-Mar-17 20:52:59

This person is a heavy drinker. Which is not to say they'd be unaffected after 2 bottles, but not under the table as other people would likely be.

Onlyaplasticbagdear Wed 15-Mar-17 20:53:03

Wow that's a crazy amount. I'd be passed out if I even had one bottle let alone two.

pointythings Wed 15-Mar-17 20:53:22

That's 20+ units of alcohol at a sitting - I'd be in hospital on that, as would most people. If this is a regular thing it's a sign of major alcohol problems.

WayWithWords Wed 15-Mar-17 20:54:11

Not me, and not my child. But someone I'm close to. This person does not accept they have an alcohol problem.

FauxPasty Wed 15-Mar-17 20:54:46

I'd think it was worrying even without a child. With DC? Totally irresponsible and negligent.

FauxPasty Wed 15-Mar-17 20:55:09

OP have you posted before about this person?

statetrooperstacey Wed 15-Mar-17 20:55:18

Depends what their tollerance is really, I would b on my arse and probably not capable of dealing with an emergency after two bottles of 'proper wine' some people would b ok. If the bottles were the 7.5 % stuff though I could probably handle two and b fine. Hard to say really. Many people will shake their head at not being g able to drive to a& e if needed but that is what a taxi is for!

WayWithWords Wed 15-Mar-17 20:56:52

This is a fairly regular thing. 2 bottles of wine (sometimes plus other stuff) at weekends. 1 bottle of wine (plus pints or stiff G&Ts) most week nights.

nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice Wed 15-Mar-17 20:57:26

TBH that's quite a shocking amount to drink when solely responsible for a child. What if there was a medical emergency? How would that look turning up to the hospital blind drunk with a child? Or if you need to see to the child during the night? Definitely won't be capable of looking after a child after that amount of alcohol. I just wouldn't risk it. Has your partner done this? I would go nuts if my fiancé did this!

WayWithWords Wed 15-Mar-17 20:59:09

Haven't posted about this before, FaxuPasty.

I know it's negligent.

Trying to establish whether if this came out in a separation or with lawyers etc, it would result in getting no or restricted access to DC.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 15-Mar-17 21:01:13

Two bottles of wine and gin in one night is hazardous drinking, add the responsibility of looking after a child in the house and it's fucking shocking.

akwan Wed 15-Mar-17 21:01:30

I have friends who would do this when it's their night (partner around) but more Like one bottle and several g and ts

akwan Wed 15-Mar-17 21:02:02

And on a weekend

Oblomov17 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:02:45

Negligent?
Really?
A couple could go to a party, drink quite a bit come home and the babysitter leaves.
That happens quite a bit, occasionally, for normal couples, surely?

MadeForThis Wed 15-Mar-17 21:04:30

It's dangerous to look after a child if they have drank that much. Especially if it's a regular thing.
What if there was an emergency? If the child was ill? Or if the drunk person injured themselves?
It's against the law to be that intoxicated when in sole charge of a child.

balia Wed 15-Mar-17 21:05:38

Why not post in legal? There are some really knowledgeable people over there. Just going on personal experience, though, I'm not sure it would be a bar to access.

Oblomov17 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:06:06

What about a sole parent, who drinks during the day at a party, BBQ, or pub lunch and then walks home. With the children?

or even a couple, together, who both drink, whilst children there with them, at the above party or BBQ or christening or wedding etc?

WayWithWords Wed 15-Mar-17 21:06:21

Lots of people have surely been out with a partner and both gotten very drunk on the odd occasion. Obviously not ideal, but it happens.

But in my mind, it's different when you are the only person in the house.

Plus, you're not going out to a party, you're sitting home alone.

Oblomov17 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:08:03

Dh and I had an all day party - BBQ for all our friends and their children. Everyone walked home, with their children, having consumed various amounts of alcohol, from none to lots.

This does happen to others, surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now