Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to get through a crappy time

(9 Posts)
Bramblehound Wed 15-Mar-17 15:34:50

My DH has left his job and is in a v dark place. I'm worried for his mental health.

He's getting help and has support but it's going to be crap for a while till, crossed fingers, he gets stronger.

I'm feeling the pressure of being sole breadwinner and supporting him emotionally.

How to get through the crap with my sanity intact is the question?

Thinkingofausername1 Wed 15-Mar-17 15:51:12

Hi I don't want to read and run. The good thing is he is getting help where a lot of men won't admit their problems, I think just take each day at a time. Have you got friends and family near who could help with meals and shopping etc x

Bramblehound Wed 15-Mar-17 16:00:28

thank you. We're managing day to day tasks. And I'm organising a round of people coming to us for dinner and drawing in favours for dinner from family and friends as he's better when around people.

He spent 20 years managing huge teams and working long hours and now its mostly him and me - that's a shock!

hellsbellsmelons Wed 15-Mar-17 16:40:54

Can I ask why he left his job?
Would an easy part time or volunteering job help him at all?
My dad retired and then couldn't be at home all day every day.
He got a job driving disabled children around and loved it.
Did it for 10 years.
He's fully retired again now though.

I can only sympathise with you.
I've never had to deal with anything like this.
I honestly can't imagine how tough it must be on you.

leica Wed 15-Mar-17 16:44:49

Hi Bramblehound

I've been supporting my BF for a long, long time because of various health problems sad. I won't lie - it's not easy, so you need to make sure you build up your resources too. See friends, do exercise, eat well and most importantly, take time where you do stuff JUST for you. It will help you keep sane.

7Days Wed 15-Mar-17 16:47:15

I second that. Its vital to take time for yourself everyday. Leaving the house to exercise would of course be best but if thats not you dont pick something that will only become another chore

TreeTop7 Wed 15-Mar-17 16:49:38

Is it affecting your physical health? Are you sleeping poorly or getting headaches for example?

Bramblehound Wed 15-Mar-17 17:08:37

It is affecting my health, my sleep, my appetite etc but I'm exercising and actually finding work a welcome respite!

I do need to build up my resources. He's understanding about that and is trying to get out and see friends of his own etc.

leica Thu 16-Mar-17 09:18:33

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now