Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

H's 'discipline strategy'

(8 Posts)
mikado1 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:19:45

...or lack of. His (overall) approach is to get very cross very quickly (often without getting all the details) and then leave the scene/go silent. He then returns and is sweetness and light/wrestling Disney dad hmm

I have pointed out that absolutely nothing is learnt 're the actual misdemeanour and that this isn't discipline at all but I'm bloody fed up. He acts like his annoyance is a reflection of how bad the behaviour is (nothing out of ordinary) but he's not dealing with anything at all. I am posting simply because I actually don't know if I can even confront this - again- I'm nearly past caring but I thought maybe someone has had a similar experience or has any view on this. Should say it's not an out if control situation just pointless crossness. Pretty cross myself here.

GallivantingWildebeest Wed 08-Mar-17 20:22:44

Talk to him. Discuss how you can deal with things. Say he's the adult, not the child. Buy 123 Magic and get him to read it.

mikado1 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:36:22

He won't even want to hear it or will listen to me and my view/idea and say 'fine' and that'll be that. I have said exactly that, you are the adult.

SandyY2K Wed 08-Mar-17 20:44:14

Have you explained that his strategy doesn't teach the kids anything, in a non critical calm manner of course.

Otherwise it will naturally cause him to become defensive or not counter attack.

mikado1 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:52:35

I have Sandy and he says he knows.. I am calm when saying it but I know he takes any such comment as criticism.

GallivantingWildebeest Fri 10-Mar-17 09:34:49

He won't even want to hear it or will listen to me and my view/idea and say 'fine' and that'll be that. I have said exactly that, you are the adult.

Oh God. What's he like at dealing with conflict with you or another adult?

BantyCustards Fri 10-Mar-17 09:42:53

What gallivanting said...

mikado1 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:53:22

To answer: horrific. Two issues since and when I brought them up I got 'Oh for God's sake', followed by walking off and head shaking silence. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now