Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to move forward after suicide?

(7 Posts)
iwishthiswaseasier Tue 07-Mar-17 19:55:43

So my boyfriend decided to take his own life! Now I'm devastated, heart broken sad and angry! But I miss him so much and to top it all off I'm not going to the funeral because of his family! How do I move forward? I have a child and I am not prepared to let this ruin my life but I really don't know what to do to feel better!

JK1773 Tue 07-Mar-17 19:58:52

Oh gosh. That's terrible. I don't have any useful advice really but anger is an understandable emotion, along with lots of others. I hope you have some RL support flowers

Holly3434 Tue 07-Mar-17 20:01:56

Time is the only thing to help you move forward, just have to go through the emotions

Mouikey Tue 07-Mar-17 20:06:38

It may be worthwhile talking to someone at cruise the bereavement charity who have councillors trained to help through both the practical aspects and emotional aspects. Sadly (and especially in Northern Ireland) they are experienced in men taking their own lives (and others in other locations). They do not judge but offer support. Hope this helps And sorry for your loss.

Trustyourself2 Wed 08-Mar-17 00:06:22

So sorry for your loss. I hope you have people you can talk to and get support from. It's a very hard thing to deal with alone.

You could have a look at this site and see if it helps you supportaftersuicide.org.uk

Will his funeral be held in a church? You could go along and sit in the back. You shouldn't really have to do that, of course. Would his family reconsider their decision of not to allowing you to attend?

Call Samaritans as well. They are great listeners and might be able to offer some comfort and advice.

Mind yourself.

noego Wed 08-Mar-17 08:09:10

So sorry to hear this OP.
As pp have said Samaritans, supportaftersuicide and perhaps CRUSE. Also see your GP and see if emergency therapy can be arranged.

obilisk2016 Wed 08-Mar-17 09:05:46

So sad for you
There is much good advice here. Time will help.but time alone can leave nasty psychological scars. Talk to undestanding friends if you/they are able and remember Samaritans is a 24/7 operation for those times you need someone "now". It's not perfect but they will allow you to cry, reminisce or just vent, you may find some call takers more attuned to your needs than others so try more than once if you need to.
Talk, listen, try to understand and you will find your way through. Grieving is a crap time, be patient

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now