Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is this normal

(28 Posts)
nicebiscuit25 Sat 04-Mar-17 19:59:17

I'm happy in my relationship love him to bits but I keep thinking of other men I see woundering what there like as a boyfriend. weather this is the one he feels like the one so badly everything is perfect with us. I just worry weather we will be together in 10 years time I'm a big worrier he's currently away for the weekend and I'm bored in the bath missing my single days of texting guys but I'm also missing him wanting him home so I can cuddle him

Trustyourself2 Sat 04-Mar-17 20:36:26

It's not something I've done when in a happy relationship. In an unhappy relationship I'd say it happens all the time.

Holly3434 Sat 04-Mar-17 20:39:23

No, I think your missing the honeymoon period we all feel at the start before things get settled. If everything's perfect try and focus more on him if this is the case do something exciting together like a date, bring back some honeymoon stage

joystir59 Sat 04-Mar-17 20:56:11

Never give other people a thought- we've been together 5 years and I really look forward seeing her every single time. My focus is on her and no-one else.

nicebiscuit25 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:14:12

Thanks for the help I look forward to seeing him everyday where just at the long term stage talking about future marriage houses it's a first being only nearly 23 I've never had this before in past relationships the living with someone and marriage all seemed so far away

nicebiscuit25 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:16:15

Pluss with him being away for 5 days I'm bored had two days away with friends got work tomorrow it's just the evenings I miss having the company

WifeyFish Sat 04-Mar-17 21:20:18

I can't say I've ever felt like that in a relationship I'm happy and content in to be honest. You're only young though so I wouldn't get too het up on the future, just enjoy your relationship for what it is and don't be in too much of a rush to reach your happily ever after.

Spam88 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:20:32

I've never felt like this. And my husband goes away for 6 weeks at a time but I somehow manage not to fantasise about other men hmm

Impossible to know really whether you're feeling this way because you're not happy or because you've just got a bit of commitment fear going on. I think focusing on what's good in your relationship is good advice, and maybe also think about how you'd feel if the relationship ended?

Lalunya85 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:25:40

Perhaps you could spend some time thinking about what you like doing when you're by yourself? It's something some of us have to actually learn!
I'm just saying that because your post mentions that you're bored and it reminds you of "texting guys" (when in the bath?!).
A relationship will never be able to give you everything you want. You need to be happy with your own company, and that's something only you can learn. Think of your boyfriend being away as a chance to focus on that rather than fantasising about other men.

Good luck! smile

nicebiscuit25 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:25:52

I think it's commitment to be honest I'm at that panicking stage he's so perfect I look at him and think he's the one I don't want anyone else but It's the fear of spending the rest of my life with someone I like my own space

nicebiscuit25 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:28:41

I spent so long being single on tinder I loved the buzz of dates taking to new guys the the honey moon faze has gone I think

nicebiscuit25 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:30:08

But I really love him so much he's made me so happy we laugh all the time always doing things

troodiedoo Sat 04-Mar-17 21:30:20

I'd say it's normal, you seem to be at that "shit or get off the pot" stage before making a bit commitment.

nicebiscuit25 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:32:36

I struggle being independent to when I was single there was always someone to talk to or text

Joysmum Sat 04-Mar-17 21:43:18

It's ok not to want to commit to one person, but you need to be honest with him. Don't let him think you're the one for him and you are thinking about a future with him you you are happy to just live in the moment.

Since being with my DH I've never missed being single or wondered what it would be like to have a future with anyone else because I couldn't bear the thought of a future where I'm not with DH. That's not because of entrenchment, or sunk costs. I have means to seperate and buy a house outright in my own right but it just that he's the one for me.

nicebiscuit25 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:57:46

I couldn't imagine a future with out him that's the scary part I don't want to loose him ever but thought that he's the one does terrify me

HeddaGarbled Sun 05-Mar-17 01:21:03

Hmm, no, I don't think that this is normal.

What else do you have in your life? Do you have a job you enjoy and could potentially make a career of? Good friends, good relationships with family? Hobbies and interests?

You are young. Sometimes, young women over emphasise their relationships with men at the expense of all the other aspects of life which make for being a happy, well rounded person. The media is to blame. Films, women's magazines, books, TV, especially soaps, Facebook etc, push this idea on us, that romantic relationships are the most important thing in a woman's life.

Don't lie in the bath fantasising about being single. Go out and enjoy yourself with friends and family and doing things you enjoy.

When you are secure and confident in yourself as an adult woman, then you will feel more confident to make the decision about whether this is the right man for you.

nicebiscuit25 Sun 05-Mar-17 09:22:58

I've got a great job great friends there just all busy this weekend sadly he's definitely the right man for me we have one of the best times together I sit and look at him and wonder how I got so lucky

LesisMiserable Sun 05-Mar-17 10:22:14

You like your own space...but you're so bored of your own company you're thinking about texting other men. You need to find contentment in yourself before you can be a good partner to someone else.

TheNaze73 Sun 05-Mar-17 10:55:30

What you're going through is perfectly normal OP. What you need to learn is, how to be alone. I think Tinder hook ups can be addictive, for I arrant gratification & approval.

TheNaze73 Sun 05-Mar-17 10:55:46

Instant not arrant

nicebiscuit25 Sun 05-Mar-17 11:02:38

Thank you the naze73 It is the instant gratification It's the being alone in my own space but also getting the messages from guys it's addictive I spent two years addicted to it all and then I fell madly in love it was quite a shock especially now where living together have a joint account it's all becoming real

ohheykobus Sun 05-Mar-17 11:26:57

I don't think it's normal in a happy or fulfilling relationship.

I've never felt like I miss my single days with my current OH and never have the urge to be with other people (or even wonder what they're like). Sure I have fleeting thoughts, for about one second, but they're meaningless and not genuine.

nicebiscuit25 Sun 05-Mar-17 11:32:33

I don't miss my single days I just guess I miss the endless people to talk to

LesisMiserable Sun 05-Mar-17 11:52:54

You sound like you need attention from more than one person and thats never good in a committed relationship. Perhaps he isnt the one for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now