We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Survivors of Abusive Relationships

(7 Posts)
Budgerigirl Fri 03-Mar-17 21:28:38

Apologies if there is already a thread like this somewhere but I didn't know where to look/how to find it.

I've very recently escaped an abusive relationship and although I have a lot of supportive friends & family, I'm feeling I need support from (and want to also lend support to) other people who have directly experienced what I have. I'd like to meet face to face but accept that's probably not so easy - you hardly find groups like this at your local village hall, do you. Or do you?

Any ideas/resources appreciated.

Marmalade85 Fri 03-Mar-17 21:31:49

Hi OP, congratulations on leaving. I've recently done the same. I was referred to the Freedom program which is a group and also referred to group counselling for domestic abuse. I work full time so unfortunately haven't been able to attend.

Budgerigirl Fri 03-Mar-17 21:33:51

Hi Marmalade, I've also heard of that programme and heard good things about it. At the moment because of my situation though I can't get time out either to attend anything like that yet, although I'd like to when things change.
Was hoping for more informal meet ups, that kind of thing.

Marmalade85 Fri 03-Mar-17 21:35:37

I met up with other single mums from a Facebook group and almost all of us had been in an abusive relationship so maybe that's a start?

Budgerigirl Fri 03-Mar-17 21:37:56

Good idea, will have a look in my area. Well done too on getting out.

Marmalade85 Fri 03-Mar-17 21:49:59

We have our own whatsapp group and its a great source of support for discussing bastard ex's, court and children in general

Budgerigirl Fri 10-Mar-17 16:02:33

Bumping

Haven't found anything yet apart from the women's aid forum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now