Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Break up - What to do?

(3 Posts)
confuseddaddotcom1 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:43:20

I currently am in a relationship which is very strained, it looks like it over but I am not that upset about it. There has been constant issues with my partners daughter and her attitude, she suffers from Aspergers but is very rude, abrupt and shouts a lot. Although I have the upmost sympathy it is difficult to deal with her and we have fallen out many times. The issue is, I take my soon to be ex partners children to school and although I don't want to drop her in it, I am debating wether I should continue to do so as the relationship is going very sour. She doesn't want to discuss things and I feel frustrated by this and due to the her daughters behaviour, it's a really struggle and I don't really want to be in that situation. Is it best I cut ties and start looking after myself and my children, I don't want to be the bad guy but am confused what to do?

LesisMiserable Wed 01-Mar-17 22:30:48

If you need to break up then so be it - all the arrangements you had in place as a couple were just that - arising from you being a couple. It's tough but it's probably best if you cut all ties succinctly.

scoobydoo1971 Wed 01-Mar-17 23:10:45

It is probably important that you have 'the chat' with your partner about the state of the relationship. Not only to bring some clarity for yourself, but also to plan for the children and their school arrangements. As you will know, change in schedule is a huge trigger for people with Aspergers so giving her a clear message about your plans is important for her well-being, and her children. If you are breaking up and not wishing to be part of family life anymore, then it is best to talk to her so the position is clear. You will feel better for making things clear as well, and will have done the right thing by her and her family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now