Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do you know that you live your DP?

(17 Posts)
onlyconnect Wed 01-Mar-17 14:38:09

I'd love to hear from people who've been with their partner for ten years or more. How do you know you love him or her?

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Wed 01-Mar-17 14:41:11

How do you know you love anyone?

I enjoy spending time with him.

I look forward to him coming home.

I miss him when he's away.

I hate it when he's sad.

I would be devastated to lose him.

I like to be close to him.

What makes you ask? Having to ask is generally not a good sign.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 01-Mar-17 14:43:14

all of the above smile well said UndersecretaryofWhimsy

HecateAntaia Wed 01-Mar-17 14:44:52

you enjoy their company, you miss them when theyre gone ( for a length of time. im not talking sitting outside the loo waiting for them 😂) . you want to be close with them, you laugh together, have interesting conversations, see yourself growing old with them. you feel bonded is the best way i can put it. thinking about them not being in you life makes you feel sad.

thats for me anyway. i suspect everyone will be different.

i am not much of a one for lusty heart thumping sweaty stuff 😁 . i like comfortable. i think theres a difference between long term pair bonding and the first flush of lust and excitement and drama. try sustaining that for 20 years. you'd be knackered 😁

OneWithTheForce Wed 01-Mar-17 14:46:46

You care about them, want them to be happy, want them to achieve what they hope to, you hurt when they hurt, you want to fix their problems

Happybunny19 Wed 01-Mar-17 14:46:56

He's the person I go to when I need support and always gives it.
He's the person I want to be intimate with, all the time.
He is the person I laugh with most and the only one who shares my odd sense of humour.
I can't go a full day without contact with him, and him me.
I'm pathetically excited to see him when he gets home.
He shares all my excitement about our children and is always supportive with them.
If anything happened to him I'd be lost.
He's fit as fuck grin

daisyswirl Wed 01-Mar-17 14:55:23

He is the person who lets me be me. He smiles at me and i feel like the only person in the world. We laugh together all the time and hes seen me at my best and worst and still says im the only woman for him. My heart still skips when he comes home and this is after 28 years together! It sounds lame but my life would be only a half life if something happened to him.

SituationNormalAllFuctup Wed 01-Mar-17 15:31:29

Happy grin

onlyconnect Wed 01-Mar-17 15:31:43

AHHH! Why I am I so clumsy? I meant LOVE obviously

onlyconnect Wed 01-Mar-17 15:39:34

Of all the things mentioned I feel most of them. I always think of three signs in particular:
you feel their pain (eg upsets you too if something is going badly for them)
you just like it when they're there. Doesn't mean that you want them there all the time but generally you like it if they're round
disgust is suspended- I suppose that's the intimacy thing

I ask because I'm having a bit of a hard time with DP at the moment. We are very different but generally have a very good relationship. Every now and again the differences seem to outshine the positives and I start to feel it's all wrong.

What you have posted is largely comforting.

OmaDesala Wed 01-Mar-17 15:45:46

We have been together 30 years since I was a teenager. We have grown up together, we laugh, we love, we bicker but he is my rock. I cannot imagine any part of my life without him in it. I miss him when he is not there, he is my soul mate

ExitStage Wed 01-Mar-17 15:50:21

I let her share my toblerone.

And I know she loves me because occasionally (very occasionally) she'll let me eat kippers.

IsNotGold Wed 01-Mar-17 17:14:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IsNotGold Fri 03-Mar-17 20:25:16

Happybunny19 Sat 04-Mar-17 14:51:39

I thought your addition was very relevant to this thread IsNotGold. I think if you've managed to overcome massive obstacles in your relationship, you're the most qualified person to answer this question. Hope things are good for you now and are enjoying your whole toblerone.

IsNotGold Sat 04-Mar-17 20:50:31

Millybingbong Sat 04-Mar-17 21:05:27

I love it when he walks around naked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now